[Rarebooks] FS: Two Early Thornton Wilder SIGNED Handwritten Letters

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Sat Aug 12 14:44:36 EDT 2023

WILDER, Thornton. AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED (ALSs). Hamden, CT, 1930 &
1935. Two early AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED (ALSs) to Henzie Browne, the
wife of British theater director E. Martin Browne on 5 total pages,
5-3/4" x 8-1/2" and 6" x 8", dated 20 June 1930 and 11 June 1935. The
earlier handwritten letter, in full: "Indeed I am very happy that you
did write me your generous and encouraging letter. And I’m very glad
that you were not disappointed in the book at that particular time: I’ve
taken potluck at ship’s libraries many times and only once had a real
deck-chair treat = Thomas Mann’s BUDDENBROOKS. I shall think of you two
often again this summer, for I shall be at Peterboro from July 10 - Aug
10. Trying to write some plays. I hope some summer we can all meet again
(with Christopher too) on that hill. Please give my regards to Mr. Brown
and again accept my sincere thanks. Sincerely yours Thornton Wilder." In
the second letter, Wilder comments on T. S. Eliot’s plays and the
impoverishment of commercial theatre. In full: "Indeed I remember you
very well, and it was a great pleasure to receive your generous word
about my book. It was a pleasure to know also that you have so large a
part in a venture of such importance as the production of Mr. Eliot’s
plays. I should like to think that those plays will some day be seen to
have had a large part in the renaissance of a theatre with real
subject-matter. The commercial theatre grows more and more impoverished
in vitality and it is just such works as Mr. Eliot’s and yours that may
save it. Please give my regards to Mr. Browne, and accept my thanks
again for the kind impulse that led you to write me. Sincerely yours
Thornton Wilder." E. Martin Browne collaborated for many years with T.
S. Eliot and was the first producer of many of Eliot’s plays, including
MURDER IN THE CATHEDRAL. Creases from folding, otherwise Fine. (#021357)
$1,250

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/021357/thornton-wilder/autograph-letters-signed-alss

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825