[Rarebooks] FS: Fine, Lengthy Alice B. Toklas SIGNED Handwritten Letter 7 months after Gertrude Stein's death

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Thu Aug 17 11:43:30 EDT 2023

TOKLAS, Alice B. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). Paris, 14 February 1947.
Superb closely written four-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED composed 7
months after Gertrude Stein's death on an 8" x 10-1/2" sheet folded into
fours to friend Tony Scott SIGNED "Alice Toklas." With the original
envelope addressed in Toklas's hand. Fine letter to Scott while he was
attending Pomona College in Claremont, California, studying creative
writing. The initial part of the letter gives a critique of his short
story "Jeffry - a love story" published in THE CRITERION magazine. In
part: "I was waiting to receive THE CRITERION before answering your
letter -- it has just come and I have read it. Well my feeling about
Jeffry is a little mixed -- some of it is good and well once in a while
it is a word that interferes -- sometimes unnecessary and other times
wrong -- but you play between the reality and the dream very
convincingly.... But what really appalls me is something called critical
notes on ‘Loss’ -- Is it possible that such things are thought and said
by men selected to help you write -- it is incredible -- their standard
-- their point of view --- their general uneducatedness.... For God's
sake Tony --- work out your own salvation -- don't let anyone tell you
anything -- don't think you can't do it by yourself -- if the worst
comes to the worst wait until you run up against someone who does know
what literature is. I hope you are working hard all the time -- its all
there is to do. Did Gertrude ever tell you: an artist does not need
criticism -- he needs appreciation. It’s what she used to say -- When
she was at Radcliffe -- which was at that time an annex to Harvard and
so she had her experience of James -- and Munsterberg and Santyana and
[?] -- well James Vaughan Moody was a teacher there and he corrected her
daily themes. Gertrude said she owed him a good deal because he barely
wrote anything -- a question mark here or there -- a word at the end of
the paragraph -- but at the end of the theme -- a ‘good’ or ‘better’ or
‘not as good.’ She said it left her alone with her work -- with no
audience. And that that was the only way." Toklas goes on to discuss
various tributes to Stein and her opinion of them and concludes the
letter with some gossip and news about her cats. Faint crease from
mailing; envelope with stamp removed. Fine.
Anthony Scott was a playwright and novelist who visited Toklas and her
partner Gertrude Stein on a regular basis when he was a G.I. in Paris.
(#021408)        $1,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/021408/alice-b-toklas/autograph-letter-signed-als

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825