[Rarebooks] FS: John Steinbeck SIGNED Letter about the release of THE GRAPES OF WRATH

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Fri Aug 25 11:43:37 EDT 2023

STEINBECK, John. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS). Los Gatos, n.d. [April
1939]. One-page TYPED LETTER SIGNED in full in ink to Mrs. Holman [Zena
Holman, wife of Wilfred Rensselar Holman of the historic Holman's
Department Store in Pacific Grove, CA], responding to her question about
the release of THE GRAPES OF WRATH on 5 April 1939 after it was
scheduled for release on the 14th by Viking. Evidently bookstores began
selling them earlier, and she has written him directly to ask if she
can. Steinbeck writes: "I don't know why they have these release dates
which no one keeps anyway. Apparently this book is being sold all over
the state. And if one store does it I can't see any reason for others
not to." She must have inquired about a pamphlet she saw in San
Francisco that was being sold. "Enclosed is probably the pamphlet you
speak of. I did not know that it was being sold or anything about it
except that a few were sent me by Viking. As to the one in San Francisco
you speak of, I have never heard of it." The pamphlet Steinbeck
sent—JOHN STEINBECK. PERSONAL AND BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES--by Lewis
Gannett, published by Viking in 1939, 14 pages, is included here with
the letter. With the envelope. Creases from mailing, including the
pamphlet which has a vertical crease. Near Fine. (#021373)        $2,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/021373/john-steinbeck/typed-letter-signed-tls

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825