[Rarebooks] FS: Remarkable 20th Century Publishing Folly

Mark Funke mark at funkebooks.com
Tue Aug 29 15:07:37 EDT 2023

Dear Friends, Customers, & Colleagues:

Today we offer a remarkable Twentieth Century publishing folly on art
in America.

La Farge, John, and August F. Jaccaci. Noteworthy Paintings in
American Private Collections. New York: A.F. Jaccaci Co., 1907. 520 by
390mm (20½ by 15¼ inches) weighing in at 31 pounds. Original vellum
over thick boards; [xxii], 517 pp. Plus 51 mounted photogravure
plates.

The English art dealer Sir Joseph Duveen, who made a fortune selling
English art to America’s über-wealthy, was the driving force behind
this monumental book. The book had a 1907 list price of $1,000
($32,458.40 in today’s value). A mere 126 copies were printed (and per
one report, only 49 copies were bound).

For a full write-up of this extravagant book see:

https://funkebooks.com/offers/Funke_Books_The_Greatest_Folly.pdf

Further, our entire online inventory - which is not available on
Biblio or Abebooks - can be perused here:

https://funkebooks.com/shop/

- Mark
___
mark funke, bookseller ABAA & ILAB