[Rarebooks] FS: 1923 Laura Gilpin Photo of American Composer Frederick Jacobi

Joslin Hall Books & Ephemera office at joslinhall.com
Thu Jun 1 12:24:43 EDT 2023

American Classical Music Composer Frederick Jacobi 1923 Portrait Photo
by Laura Gilpin

Written on the back in pen- “Frederick Jacobi photograph by Laura
Gilpin Colo. Springs, Colo. 1923”.

Laura Gilpin (1891-1979) was an American photographer, known for her
photographs of Native Americans, particularly the Navajo and Pueblo,
and Southwestern landscapes. Gilpin began taking photographs as a
child in Colorado and formally studied photography in New York from
1916 to 1917 before returning to her home in Colorado to begin her
career as a professional photographer. Gilpin is considered to be one
of the great platinum printing photographers, and many of her platinum
prints are now in museums around the world” [Wikipedia].

“Frederick Jacobi (1891-1952) was a Jewish-American composer and
teacher. His works include symphonies, concerti, chamber music, works
for solo piano and for solo organ, lieder, and one opera. He taught at
Juilliard School of Music from 1936 to 1950. He also served as the
director of the American section of the International Society for
Contemporary Music and was a founding member of the League of
Composers. Jacobi is best remembered as a composer of works with
Judaic themes [and] although Jacobi's secular work is performed only
infrequently today, his liturgical works continue to receive
performances in synagogues. Jacobi's work largely rejects the
polytonality and atonality that was popular with the avant-garde
composers of his time. Instead he finds his influence in the classical
and romantic periods. Baltimore Sun critic, Florestan Croche,
described Jacobi's style as having "a sense of the drama which is
always aristocratic, introspective, and personal, and never allowed to
become theatrical. Harmonically ... his is a language of extreme
chromaticism, one, however, which always appears to be tonally
oriented.” He died on October 24, 1952 in New York City of heart
failure”[Wikipedia].

Photo. 8x10. Small creasing, light wear, minor soil.  $400

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-55382-1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-55382-2.jpg>

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49
Hatfield, Massachusetts 01038 USA

-

www.joslinhall.com

Sign up for our email list, with Special Offers & Announcements sent
to your inbox ->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Join us on-

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Our Blog
https://foggygates2.blogspot.com/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

  ~ ~ ~

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

TERMS:

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, Paypal, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
  additional.

We regret that because of costly new VAT requirements and charges
recently imposed by the UK and EU which we do not have the staff
to deal with, we have had to suspend overseas shipments for the
time being.

We accept returns if we are notified within ten days of your receipt -please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
6.25% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America we
are committed to upholding high professional standards and making sure
your bookbuying experience is enjoyable.