[Rarebooks] FS: Memoirs of the Margravine of Anspach Written by Herself - 1826 Edition

Joslin Hall Books & Ephemera office at joslinhall.com
Fri Jun 2 12:19:58 EDT 2023

Memoirs of the Margravine of Anspach. Written by Herself.

By Elizabeth Craven.
Published in London by Henry Colburn in 1826.

“Elizabeth, Princess Berkeley, sometimes unofficially styled
Margravine of Brandenburg-Ansbach (nee Lady Elizabeth Berkeley;
1750—1828), previously Elizabeth Craven, Baroness Craven, of Hamstead
Marshall, was an author and playwright, perhaps best known for her
travelogues. Elizabeth Berkeley was born in Mayfair, London, the third
child of the Augustus Berkeley, 4th Earl of Berkeley and his wife,
Elizabeth Drax, daughter of Henry Drax and Elizabeth Ernle. Her life
was full of scandal: on 30 May 1767, "much against her will at the age
of sixteen," she was married to William Craven, 6th Baron Craven.
After thirteen years of marriage, seven children, and affairs reported
on both sides, the couple parted permanently in 1780. She had an
affair with Charles Greville sometime in late 1783. Thereafter she
lived in France and traveled extensively on the Continent. For a
number of years she maintained a romantic relationship with Charles
Alexander, Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach. During her years at the
Ansbach court, Craven formed an amateur theatre at court, which
counted the composer Maria Theresia von Ahlefeldt among its members.
William Craven died in Lausanne on 26 September 1791, and Elizabeth
and Alexander then married in Lisbon and settled in England. Early in
her literary career she wrote a number of light farces, pantomimes,
and fables, some of which were performed in London. She knew Samuel
Johnson and James Boswell, and became a close friend of Horace
Walpole, who published her early works” [Wikipedia]. Her most famous
work today is her important 1789 travelogue, “A journey through the
Crimea to Constantinople”.

Two hardcover volumes. 6x9, viii + 430 and vii +406 pages, each volume
with an engraved frontispiece. In the original board covers with
hand-lettered cloth spines, in what some might call “marvelously
unsophisticated condition”, and what others might call “more or less
completely wrecked”. Volume 1 is battered, tattered and stained, the
spine cloth hanging off in strips, and the binding itself separated in
several places. Volume 2 lacks the front board but has a binding still
tightly sewn; the rear board is also battered and stained, and the
spine cloth darkened and cracked. Aside from the fact that they are
falling out of Volume 1, the pages are not bad, with nice wide margins
and a little age-toning and scattered wear and soil. With the private
library bookplate of Wm E. & Lucie H. Hoblitzelle, and a part of a
printed plate with names and addresses whose purpose isn’t quite
clear, in Volume 1.  $50, plus $4 shipping.

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-55420-1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-55420-2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-55420-3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-55420-4.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-55420-5.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-55420-6.jpg>

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49
Hatfield, Massachusetts 01038 USA

-

www.joslinhall.com

Sign up for our email list, with Special Offers & Announcements sent
to your inbox ->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Join us on-

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Our Blog
https://foggygates2.blogspot.com/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

  ~ ~ ~

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

TERMS:

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, Paypal, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
  additional.

We regret that because of costly new VAT requirements and charges
recently imposed by the UK and EU which we do not have the staff
to deal with, we have had to suspend overseas shipments for the
time being.

We accept returns if we are notified within ten days of your receipt -please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
6.25% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America we
are committed to upholding high professional standards and making sure
your bookbuying experience is enjoyable.