[Rarebooks] FS: 1917/18 Diehl Pottery Bankruptcy Lawsuit Letters

Joslin Hall Books & Ephemera office at joslinhall.com
Wed Jun 14 11:37:19 EDT 2023

1917/18 Diehl Pottery Bankruptcy Lawsuit Lawyer Letters

First we have a January 29, 1917 letter noting that the Board of
Directors of the Diehl Pottery met and discussed the financial
condition of the pottery. We then have letters dated May 17 and 24,
1918, on the letterhead of Niles & Neff, attorneys of York,
Pennsylvania, to Benjamin Stoner of Hallem, Pennsylvania (one of the
Directors of the pottery), reporting no progress on getting anybody to
agree to make a deal with bonds or other financial instruments to pay
off the pottery’s debt or outstanding interest, and that Mr. Hoober &
Mr. Luffbarry (presumably agents for the bank) will now file suit
against everybody involved-

“It now looks to me as if there was nothing to be done except
bankruptcy for the Company and for the individuals…I am sorry the
prospects are so gloomy, but I can now see very little light”. In
fact, the bank, in the person of Luffbarry, went after Mr. Watts
alone, and on September 21, 1918 got a judgement against him for the
full amount of the note plus interest, despite his defense that six
other directors had also signed it.

The July 1, 1919 Brick and Clay Record reported- “The Diehl Pottery
Works, Perkasie, Pa., has been acquired by the Morris C. Max Co.,
Allentown. The company has been manufacturing roofing tile and other
specialties, and the business will be discontinued. The purchase
includes machinery at the plant, equipment and stock, and will be
disposed of in the open market”.

 From a small collection of correspondence of Benjamin Stoner of
Hellam, Pennsylvania, who invested in a variety of mining and other
speculative stocks in the early 1900s and then, unfortunately,
invested in a pottery.

Three 8.5x11 letters. Folds, minor soil, light wear.  $75

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-55448-1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-55448-2.jpg>

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49
Hatfield, Massachusetts 01038 USA

-

www.joslinhall.com

Sign up for our email list, with Special Offers & Announcements sent
to your inbox ->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Join us on-

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Our Blog
https://foggygates2.blogspot.com/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

  ~ ~ ~

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

TERMS:

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, Paypal, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
  additional.

We regret that because of costly new VAT requirements and charges
recently imposed by the UK and EU which we do not have the staff
to deal with, we have had to suspend overseas shipments for the
time being.

We accept returns if we are notified within ten days of your receipt -please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
6.25% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America we
are committed to upholding high professional standards and making sure
your bookbuying experience is enjoyable.