[Rarebooks] FS: A Selection of Art Exhibition Catalogs

Joslin Hall Books & Ephemera office at joslinhall.com
Mon Jun 26 13:20:59 EDT 2023

A Selection of Art Exhibition Catalogs.
Please add $3 for shipping any number.

CATALOGUE OF A LOAN EXHIBITION OF PAINTINGS BY REMBRANDT.
By Valentiner, et al. Published by the Detroit Institute of Arts in 1930.

A remarkable loan exhibition of Rembrandt's works in the U.S.- of the
51 lenders, almost all were from the United States. Softcover.
7"x10", 17 pages plus 78 black & white plates with facing
descriptions. Covers chipped and worn; some soil. [55537]  $18

  - -

MAKERS OF HISTORY IN WASHINGTON, 1800-1950.
By David E. Finley, et al.
Published in Washington by the National Gallery of Art in 1950.

"An exhibition celebrating the sesquicentennial of the establishment
of the Federal government in Washington". A loan exhibition of
portrait of noteworthy Americans, from George Washington to Truman;
also includes a section  of portraits of the architects, artists and
planners of the city of Washington. Softcover. 6"x9", 174 pages, black
& white illustrations. Some soil and wear to the covers, a little
scattered soil and a few tight binding cracks internally. [55536]  $20

  - -

A SURVEY OF AMERICAN PAINTING.
Published by the Carnegie Institute Department of Fine Arts in 1940.

The catalog to a loan exhibition which ran from October to December,
1940, with an introduction by Homer Saint-Gaudens. There were 367
paintings, drawn from a wide variety of institutions and personal
collections. One of the most striking aspects of the exhibition is
that while the first part, devoted to “Retrospective” works (Colonial
to the end of the 19th century) was mostly from institutional lenders,
the second part, the Contemporary works, featured 121 paintings which
were in part lent by the artists themselves, and were potentially for
sale. This is mentioned in the introductory notes- if you see
something you like in the Contemporary section mention it to us, you
may be able to buy it. Since the artists included Raphael Soyer,
Charles Sheeler, Edward Hopper, John Marin, George Grosz, Rockwell
Kent, Grant Wood, and many others (many of them of less lasting
renown) this wasn’t a bad deal at all. Softcover. 7.5x10, 158 pages
plus 135 black & white plates. Covers with some wear and soil, front
cover hinge starting the separate. [55474]  $20

  - -

THE DRAWING SOCIETY NATIONAL EXHIBITION 1965.
Published by the American Federation of Art in 1965.

A joint project of the Atlanta Art Association, California Palace of
the Legion of Honor, New York Gallery of Modern Art, Houston Museum of
Fine Arts, Philadelphia Museum of Art, and Smith College Museum of
Art. Works by 100 national and regional artists, including Leonard
Baskin, Milton Avery, Charles Burchfield, Jim Dine, and Helen
Frankenthaler. Softcover. 7"x9", 103+ pages, black & white
illustrations. Minor soil, light wear. [55538]  $18

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49
Hatfield, Massachusetts 01038 USA

-

www.joslinhall.com

Sign up for our email list, with Special Offers & Announcements sent
to your inbox ->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Join us on-

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Our Blog
https://foggygates2.blogspot.com/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

  ~ ~ ~

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

TERMS:

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, Paypal, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
  additional.

We regret that because of costly new VAT requirements and charges
recently imposed by the UK and EU which we do not have the staff
to deal with, we have had to suspend overseas shipments for the
time being.

We accept returns if we are notified within ten days of your receipt -please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
6.25% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America we
are committed to upholding high professional standards and making sure
your bookbuying experience is enjoyable.