[Rarebooks] FS: Biography of JULIA WARD HOWE with MANUSCRIPT Page on the Subject of Women's Suffrage

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Mar 8 09:18:02 EST 2023

[HOWE, Julia Ward] RICHARDS, Laura and ELLIOTT, Maud Howe. JULIA WARD
HOWE 1819 - 1910. Boston & New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1915.
First Edition. Two volumes in original cloth-backed boards with
gilt-lettered leather spine labels. Copy #236 of 450 copies of the
Large-Paper Edition with a leaf of Howe's unsigned AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT
tipped in by the publisher, this example with 22 lines of over 100
words, apparently the first page of a speech she was giving to women on
the subject of women's suffrage. In part: "But, when I am here to ask
for justice to all the women of our community.... They are not afraid of
us, but of their sex in general." Illustrated with plates and portraits,
including a facsimile manuscript of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."
Owner's inscriptions on both front endpapers: "Elizabeth Walker
Pontefract/from/Jean Charters Pontefract/June 1916." The Pontefracts
were related to the Childs and Howe families by marriage; Thomas
Marshall Howe, one of Pittsburgh's leading citizens of the late 19th
century, was a distant cousin of Julia Ward Howe. Winner of the 1917
Pulitzer Prize for Biography. Manuscript pages by Howe concerning
women's rights are quite desirable. Spine labels a bit dried and with
some cracking; light wear and darkening to the covers. About Very Good,
lacking the dustwrappers and slipcase. (#021230)        $750

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/021230/julia-ward-howe-laura-richards-maud-howe-elliott/julia-ward-howe-1819-1910

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825