[Rarebooks] FS: Superb Longfellow Letter to a Little Boy Named after his Son

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Tue Sep 5 10:35:21 EDT 2023

LONGFELLOW, Henry Wadsworth. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS): Charming
Missive to a Young Boy Named Charlie. Cambridge, 1867. Superb 4-page
AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED "Henry W. Longfellow" on a 9" x 7" sheet of
paper, folded once, to "My Dear Charlie," a young boy as obvious by the
content. In full: "I have been so long in answering your letter, that no
doubt you begin to think that I am not going to answer it at all. But
you see, I am; and my letter will be longer than yours. It comes very
naturally to me to begin with 'My Dear Charlie,' because I have a boy
named Charlie. He was in the war; and was shot through the body; but has
got well again, and is now in St. Petersburg; and whenever I write to
him I begin my letters with 'My Dear Charlie,' just as I do this. I
suppose you have a sled; and I wonder of what color it is, and what its
name is. I used to have one named the 'Vanguard'; but that was a good
while ago, and I do not know what has become of it. And what do you
think of this great snow? You may live to be an old man without seeing
the like again. It will be good fun for you to make snow houses and
forts. I hope you have a wooden shovel, for I really don't know what a
boy can do without a wooden shovel in winter. And now, my Dear Charlie,
good bye; and remember that all Charlies must be good boys. That will
make everything pleasant and comfortable. Your friend, Henry W.
Longfellow." With the envelope addressed by Longfellow to Edward B.
Haven, a friend of his son Charlie and the father of the young boy named
Charlie, likely named after his friend. Haven and Charles Longfellow
shared a home in Japan in 1872. Normal folds from mailing; ink a bit
light. Near Fine. (#021390)        $2,000

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/021390/henry-wadsworth-longfellow/autograph-letter-signed-als-charming-missive-to-a-young-boy-named-charlie

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825