[Rarebooks] FS: Amiri Baraka MANUSCRIPT of Testimonial to His Mother

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Sep 6 13:32:47 EDT 2023

BARAKA, Amiri (LeRoi JONES). TYPED MANUSCRIPT: SPEECH AT TESTIMONIAL NOV
7 (ANNA LOIS RUSS) MAMA. TYPED MANUSCRIPT (5 pages) of a speech given by
Baraka about his mother and his upbringing. Titled and numbered by hand
with several ink corrections, Baraka talks about the influence his
mother had on his life. In part: "I have learned a great deal of what I
do know in Newark, or with Nwk as a base. I was born here, the first
generation in the north, after my grand parents and parents settled
here, after being driven and called out of the black belt south, which
is the homeland of the afroamerican nation in the usa.... I remember she
came to school to fight for me, against the bigots & chauvinists once
against a teacher who thought there was something too strange about this
little boy who talked constantly, and had these enormous eyes.... She
had not only told me about racism, but on several occasions I had seen
her do battle with racists. One day we went into a fanny farmer candy
store, on Washington St or Halsey St, and the woman in there wanted to
call Brazil Nuts, Nigger Toes. I remember the confrontation vividly.
Those are Brazil Nuts, Lady, my mother said, turning on her heel, and
dragging me out of the place.... When I came back to Newark to live,
after College, The AirForce and living in New York, we came talking
black power, and my mother did not oppose this line. When the police
tried to kill me in 1967 when they succeeded in killing 26 other black
people, trying to make newark safe for imperialism, my entire family,
was solid behind me -- and I think that event changed us all, and made
us all hate injustice and racism a little more intensely." Much more. As
far as we know, this was never published. Some edgewear with a large
segment of the bottom blank margin of the last page missing. Very Good.
(#021430) $1,000

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/021430/amiri-baraka-leroi-jones/typed-manuscript-speech-at-testimonial-nov-7-anna-lois-russ-mama

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825