[Rarebooks] fa: James Howell - EPISTOLAE HO-ELIANAE: FAMILIAR LETTERS DOMESTIC AND FORREN - 1678

ArCh ardchamber at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 16 14:21:49 EST 2024

Auctions end Sunday, January 21. Images and more details can be found at the URL below or by searching for the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/2vt3s47f

Many thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

James Howell: Epistolae Ho-elianae. Familiar Letters, Domestic and Forren. Divided into four Books, Partly Historical, Political, Philosophicall, upon Emergent Occasions. By James Howel Esq.; One of the Clerks of his late Ma[jes]ties most Hnble Privy Councill. The fifth edition. London: Printed for Thomas Guy, 1678. Small 8vo (18 cm) in early mottled calf, rebacked in later calf; [12], 510, [22] pp.; with an extra engraved title-page. ESTC R14264.

The letters relate primarily to the reigns of James I and Charles I and abound in entertaining and useful details of the period. James Howell was a great traveler as well as a close friend of Ben Jonson. In need of a re-bind. Binding detached from the text block, text block broken at the mid-point, several page-gatherings loose but present; contents with generally mild browning and foxing, occasional small spots and marginal notes. Engraved armorial bookplate of Sir William O[verend] Priestley.