[Rarebooks] fa: Strand Magazine 1903: CONAN DOYLE & SHERLOCK HOLMES + H. G. WELLS + E. NESBIT + SOMERSET MAUGHAM etc.

ArCh ardchamber at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 18 10:45:24 EST 2024

Auctions end Sunday, January 21. Images and more details can be found at the URL below or by searching for the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/2vt3s47f

Many thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

[Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, H. G. Wells, etc.:] The Strand Magazine : An Illustrated Monthly. Vol. XXVI [26]. July to December. London: George Newnes, Ltd., 1903. First Edition. Large 8vo (24 cm) in original publisher's beveled cloth stamped in black and gilt, all page edges gilt; 804 pp.

Featuring the first appearances in print of three of Conan Doyle's best-loved Sherlock Holmes stories: The Adventure of the Dancing Men, The Adventure of the Empty House, and The Adventure of the Norwood Builder, all illustrated by Sidney Paget. These were the first three stories of The Return of Sherlock Holmes, the triumphant reappearance of the great consulting detective after his "fatal" encounter with Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls.

Other notable contributors include: H. G. WELLS (The Land Ironclads, speculative fiction presaging the coming of tanks in World War I); W. SOMERSET MAUGHAM (A Point of Law); E. NESBIT (parts I-VI of The Phoenix and the Carpet); MAX PEMBERTON (The Iron Maiden, The King and I, Gervais of Blois); W. W. JACOBS (Lawyer Quince); and the illustrator J. A. SHEPHERD (Animal Proverbs, The Camel's Festival, Early Birds, etc.).

In Very Good or better condition: the binding with light rubbing, some very faint water spots, modest wear to the corners; some light spotting to the page edges in the latter half of the text block, otherwise the contents are clean, fresh and sound, securely bound. Early prize bookplate (from Luton P.S.A.) on the front paste-down.