[Rarebooks] FS: SIGNED Washington Irving Letter to His Nephew

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Thu Mar 7 16:04:48 EST 2024

IRVING, Washington. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) to his Nephew.
Tarrytown, 31 December 1836. Interesting three-page letter by the
creator of Rip Van Winkle and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow on a 16" x 10"
sheet of paper folded in half and SIGNED at the conclusion "Washington
Irving" to his nephew the Rev. Pierre Irving, author of THE LIFE &
LETTERS OF WASHINGTON IRVING. Irving asks about his other nephew,
Pierre's brother, Theodore, also a Reverend and author: "I am happy to
hear that Theodore is making such strenuous efforts to prepare himself
for the important trust about to be confided to him. It will of course
take some little time and discipline to get himself into complete
training; his desultory studies and readings have all to be brought to
bear upon one pursuit, and in many cases to be followed out and
completed.... The way in which he has acquitted himself in the study of
modern languages and in various literary undertakings, while under my
eye, convinces me that he has but to pursue his present course of
preparation to enable himself to discharge the duties of the
professorship in a highly satisfactory manner. He must not suffer
himself, therefore, to be discouraged by the novelty of the task, and
the apparent difficulties which may [?] it.... I am passing the winter
most happily in my cottage, and feel more and more delighted with the
quiet little house which I have [?] for myself.... The peaceful view my
window is wintry but brilliant and beautiful. The Tappen Zee wind....
Your Uncle Peter continues as [?] of the cottage and I trust will
henceforth make it his regular home." Addressed on the reverse in
Irving's hand with a red wax seal. Splitting to the intersecting folds
and a small area of seal-related paper loss to the last page. Very Good.
(#020034)     $1,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020034/washington-irving/autograph-letter-signed-als-to-his-nephew

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825