[Rarebooks] For Sale: John DePol, Patterns

info at johnhowellforbooks.com info at johnhowellforbooks.com
Tue Mar 12 19:42:29 EDT 2024

Offered Today:

John DePol (1913-2004).

Patterns: Drawn and Engraved on Wood. Introduction by Renée I. Weber.
Appreciation by Don Wesely.

Council Bluffs, IA: The Yellow Barn Press, 1986.

8vo. 9 3/4 x 6 1/2 inches. (xvi), 39, 4 sample sheets tipped-onto
un-numbered leaves, [1 colophon] pp. Half-title, title page with woodcut
vignette, woodcut vignettes throughout the text, 39 pages reproduce in
colors a variety of patterns engraved by DePol, 4 sample sheets in color
tipped-in; text clean, unmarked. Blue cloth spine, patterned paper over
boards, spine titled in silver, patterned paper end-papers; binding
square and tight. Original prospectus included. Mel Kavin’s copy.
KJH1123-062. Fine.

$200 plus $4 Media Mail, ordered through my website

FIRST EDITION, LIMITED to 150 copies, this is number 105, printed by
Neil Shaver on a Vandercook Press using American Garamond (12-point
Monotype), printed on Mohawk Superfine. Cover and end-sheet pattern
papers are also reproduced in the text, bound by Campbell-Logan Bindery.
This volume contains fifty-five of John DePol’s designs, each presented
as a pattern, usually three patters to a two-page spread, all in color,
in addition to the full-page tip-ins of patterns. Renée Weber
contributed an introduction that traces the history of wood engraved
pattern papers. REFERENCE: Walsdorf, The Yellow Barn Press, No. A8.

https://www.johnhowellforbooks.com/product/5772

Subject to prior sale.

Trade courtesy can be arranged by email or phone.

PayPal or credit card purchases available through the website. Checks
accepted via advance arrangement.

Returns for any reason, if arranged with me within 15 days of receipt.

John Howell
310 367-9720