[Rarebooks] FS: INSCRIBED Richard Yates REVOLUTIONARY ROAD

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Mar 20 12:24:26 EDT 2024

YATES, Richard. REVOLUTIONARY ROAD. Boston: Little, Brown & Company,
(1961). First Edition. Yates's powerful first book which Kurt Vonnegut
called "the Great Gatsby of our time." Tennessee Williams said of this
book: "Here is more than fine writing; here is what, added to fine
writing, makes a book come immediately, intensely, and brilliantly
alive. If more is needed to make a masterpiece in modern American
fiction, I am sure I don't know what it is." The Academy-Award winning
film AMERICAN BEAUTY echoes its theme of a soulless modern suburban
marriage, and indeed this book too was made into a less successful film
reuniting Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet from TITANIC. This copy is
INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author on the front endpaper to noted
translator Helen Lane "who writes better sentences/than almost
anybody./with best wishes,/Dick Yates/3-16-61." Fine in a Good
dustwrapper with edgewear and chipping at the top of the spine and the
rear panel.

There is an excellent interview with Helen Lane online. (#019053)
$6,000

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/019053/richard-yates/revolutionary-road

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825