[Rarebooks] FS: Stunning Set of Inscribed Doc Smith SKYLARK and LENSMAN 1st editions

Michael John Thompson mjt at mjtbooks.com
Fri Apr 2 20:48:17 EST 2004

Edward E. ("Doc") Smith, Ph.D.
A collection of his works, all but 2 with inscriptions to the same recipient.

THE SKYLARK OF SPACE. In Collaboration with Mrs. Lee Hawkins Garby.
Illustrated by O.G. Estes, Jr. Providence, RI: Hadley Publishing Company.
1947. Second edition, previously published in 1946 by the Buffalo Book
Company. 1000 copies printed. A fine copy in a fine dust wrapper with two
tiny closed tears to top edge of rear panel and some very light dust
soiling to white paper stock.

SPACEHOUNDS OF IPC. A Tale of the Inter-Planetary Corporation. Illustrated
by A.J. Donnell. Reading, PA: Fantasy Press. 1948. 1st edition. 2008 copies
printed, of which 300 were signed and numbered on an inserted leaf. This
copy is inscribed (but not numbered, a few copies exist in this state):
"To G.W. Rix / With Regards - / Edward E. Smith, Ph.D.". This is the first
issue, in the correct first issue dust wrapper, listing 5 titles on the
rear panel. Mr. Rix has inscribed his name and address on the front free
endpaper, and dated the inscription Feb 17th, 1947, presumably the date
that he received the book.  This inscription is now very faint. Upper
corners just a touch bumped, otherwise a very good to fine copy in dust
wrapper which shows slight wear at the edges & light soiling to rear panel.
Overall, a very attractive copy. The first book published by Fantasy Press.

TRIPLANETARY. A Tale of Cosmic Adventure. Illustrated by A.J. Donnell.
Reading, PA: Fantasy Press. 1948. 1st edition. 4941 copies printed of which
500 were signed and numbered on an inserted leaf. This is copy number 68 of
the signed and limited issue, inscribed on the limitation leaf: "To Gordon
W. Rix - / With thanks for your interest - / Edward E. Smith, Ph.D." A fine
copy in a fine dust wrapper with a touch of rubbing to spine panel. A very
sharp copy. The first book in the LENSMAN series.

SKYLARK THREE. Illustrated by A.J. Donnell. Reading, PA: Fantasy Press.
1948. 1st edition. 4017 copies printed of which 500 were signed and
numbered on an inserted leaf. This is copy number 60 of the signed and
limited issue, inscribed on the limitation leaf: "To Gordon Rix - / Three
in a row - Hot dog! / With sincere appreciation of / your continued
interest - / Edward E. Smith, Ph.D.". A fine copy in a fine dust wrapper
with just a hint of rubbing.  Sequel to THE SKYLARK OF SPACE.

SKYLARK OF VALERON. Illustrated by A.J. Donnell. Reading, PA: Fantasy
Press. 1949. 1st edition. 4958 copies printed of which 500 were signed and
numbered on an inserted leaf. This is copy number 51 of the signed and
limited issue, inscribed on the limitation leaf: "Gordon Rix - / Dear
Gordon - / Three in a row titillated / my affiliation here no end, as I
intimated / previously. I am glad and proud / that you have made it four. /
Sincerely yours, / Edward E. Smith, Ph.D.". A slip of paper bearing a rough
draft of this inscription is laid in at the front endpapers. Faint
offsetting on endpapers from this leaf, otherwise a fine copy in a fine
dust wrapper with just a hint of rubbing. Third book in the SKYLARK series.

FIRST LENSMAN. Illustrated by A.J. Donnell. Reading, PA: Fantasy Press.
1950. 1st edition. 5885 copies printed of which 500 were signed and
numbered on an inserted leaf. This is copy number 25 of the signed and
limited issue, inscribed on the limitation leaf: "To Gordon Rix / Dear
Gordon: - / Five up and five away - you're / strictly one of my favorite
people! / As ever - Doc / &, since I spose I've got to be formal - / Edward
E. Smith, Ph.D.". A fine copy in a fine dust wrapper with a small scratch
on front panel and a tiny nick to upper edge of rear panel. A very sharp
copy. Second book in the LENSMAN series.

GALACTIC PATROL. Illustrated by Ric Binkley. Reading, PA: Fantasy Press.
1950. 1st edition. 6596 copies printed of which 500 were signed and
numbered on an inserted leaf. This is copy number 83 of the signed and
limited issue, inscribed on the limitation leaf: "To Gordon W. Rix / Six
for six - Six rousing cheers! / In deepest appreciation and / sincere
thanks - / Edward E. Smith, Ph.D.". Fine in dust wrapper. Third novel in
the LENSMAN series.

GRAY LENSMAN. Illustrated by Ric Binkley. Reading, PA: Fantasy Press. 1951.
1st edition. 5096 copies printed of which 500 were signed and numbered on
an inserted leaf. This is copy number 106 of the signed and limited issue,
inscribed on the limitation leaf: "To Gordon Rix / I am very hugely
gratified that / you have stayed on the list / for all of my books. / I
hope to be able, some day, / to thank you personally for / your continued
interest. / Until then - / Edward E. Smith, Ph.D.". Fine in dust wrapper,
one minute tear at head of spine panel. Fourth novel in the LENSMAN series.

SECOND STAGE LENSMAN. Illustrated by Ric Binkley. Reading, PA: Fantasy
Press. 1953. 1st edition. 4934 copies printed of which 500 were signed and
numbered on an inserted leaf. This is copy number 244 of the signed and
limited issue, inscribed on the limitation leaf: "To Gordon Rix / The
numbers vary somewhat from / book to book, but the  amount of fans to whom
this is autograph #8 remains surprisingly and wonderfully high / To you,
one of my friends of / old, many thanks / Edward E. Smith, Ph.D." Fine in
dust wrapper. Fifth novel in the LENSMAN series.

CHILDREN OF THE LENS. Illustrated by Ric Binkley. Reading, PA: Fantasy
Press. 1951. 1st edition. 4874 copies printed of which 500 were signed and
numbered on an inserted leaf. This is copy number 175 of the signed and
limited issue, inscribed on the limitation leaf: "To Gordon Rix / along
with this, the culmination / of the Lensman story, I send my / sincere
thanks for your long- / continued interest and support. / Edward E. Smith,
Ph.D.".  Fine in dust wrapper.

THE VORTEX BLASTER. Hicksville, NY: Gnome Press. 1960. 1st edition, 1st
binding of blue boards. 3000 copies printed, no limited or signed issue was
done. This copy is inscribed by the author on the front free endpaper: "To
my friend Gordon Rix / (from the autograph list of old) / And it has been a
pleasure to meet / you face to face at the / Seacon (Seattle, 1961) / may
we meet soon and / often again / As ever / Doc / (Edward E. Smith, Ph.D.".
Browning to text block as is common with this poorly made book, otherwise a
fine copy in a fine dust wrapper with a small scuff on front panel.

THE VORTEX BLASTER. Reading, PA: Fantasy Press. 1960. First edition,
limited issue. According to the publisher, these copies were printed
immediately after the Gnome Press edition, on better quality paper. Also,
according to Jack Chalker, the book had been originally announced as a
Fantasy Press title and was printed to keep faith with those people who had
pre-ordered every title. Chalker also states that only 125 copies were
issued in dust wrappers, non-subscriber copies were sold without. This copy
is fine in dust wrapper.

The collection of  12 volumes: $5,000 US, postpaid.

An impressive and important collection of the greatest Space-Opera books of
all time. Copies of the signed editions show up from time to time,
individually they are not uncommon. Complete sets inscribed to the same
recipient are rare, and this set not only has wonderful inscriptions but
the condition is superlative. Gordon Rix was a customer of mine years ago,
he sold his hardcover Science Fiction books to Star Treader Books (Bill
Matthews and Terry Rutherford) of Vancouver BC in the mid-1970's. I later
bought Gordon's paperbacks (every American SF & F paperback published prior
to 1970) and his comics and pulps in the early 1990's. These copies of the
Doc Smith books were purchased from Star Treader by Roy Hunter of
Vancouver. I have recently aquired Roy's books, and here they are again - I
remember seeing these books back in Bill & Terry's store in the 1970's when
I was a teenager.

Note: Despite the wonderful inscriptions, Gordon did not read his books.
Roy didn't either.

---
Michael John Thompson
Thompson Rare Books