[Rarebooks] FS: The First Printed Cook Book, 1487

charles agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Apr 20 10:35:54 EDT 2004

One of 45 fine items in our New York Book Fair list, viewable at
http://www.erols.com/agvent

PLATINA, BARTOLOMEO. DE LA HONESTA VOLUPTATE ET VALITUDINE WITH JOSEPH
VEHLING'S PLATINA AND THE REBIRTH OF MAN (1941).  (Venice):
(Hieronymous de Sanctis) (1487). First Edition. Small quarto in eights
(5-3/4" x 8-1/4") in original plain cedar boards with vellum strings
and metal clasp (lacks portion) in the monastic style. No title page
(as issued), iv, 70 (of 74) leaves, lacking b2 (page 10), e4-5 (pages
36-37), and h8 (page 64). Printed in black letter with woodcut
initials. THE FIRST PRINTED COOKBOOK IN THE FIRST EDITION IN A
LANGUAGE OTHER THAN LATIN. Brunet IV, 692; Goff P766a; Hain 13057;
Simon I, 80; Vicaire 697. Various sources locate about a dozen copies
in Europe, nearly all in Italy. OCLC locates a copy only at the
National Library of Medicine;Goff (Incunabula in American Libraries)
lists one at the Pierpont Morgan Library. NUC locates no copies. Only
one copy, this one (1997), sold at auction in over 40 years. The
original edition was published in Rome in 1474. This edition in
Italian is the first designed expressly for the public printed in the
language of the people and not the scholars and monks, and is also one
of the first books printed in Italian. It contains many recipes
(including French toast, caviare, and blackbird) as well as a guide to
good living with a chapter devoted to wine and vinegar. A copy of this
edition was found in the library of Leonardo Da Vinci after his
death.Platina, the Vatican librarian, derived much of his text from a
manuscript by Martino of Como. Joseph Vehling's copy with his
bookplate. With Vehling's book on Platina, this being the author's
copy (#1 of 500), which contains a facsimile of the original Platina
manuscript. In slipcase. Somewhat shaken. Some worming with loss of
letters. Very Good   $25,000

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Payment with order; institutions may
be billed. Postage additional: $15.  Overseas postage billed at
approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.
Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  We are also
open to reasonable payment terms.  A book may be returned within 7
days of receipt for any reason provided it is in the same condition as
sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full
value.  We carry a select and diverse stock with major specialties
including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed
Books & Autographs, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to
be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
(ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB)
as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the
Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

610-682-4750; FAX: 610-682-4620
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page: http://www.erols.com/agvent