[Rarebooks] FS: Marcel Proust's first book, 1896, INSCRIBED

charles agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Apr 22 09:47:37 EDT 2004

Another fine item from our list of 45 Select New Arrivals catalogued
for the New York Book Fair.  All 45 can be seen at
http://www.erols.com/agvent

PROUST, MARCEL. LES PLAISIRS ET LES JOURS.  Paris: Calmann Levy 1896.
First Edition. Quarto (8" x 11-3/4") newly bound in full green cloth
in a German case conservation binding preserving the original glossy
wraps, now inlaid, and housed in a green morocco-backed marbled paper
clamshell box with full gilt-decorated spine and brown morocco
gilt-lettered spine label. A largely unopened copy of Proust's first
book, a not very successful collection of short stories, essays and
poems illustrated by Madelaine Lemaire with printed piano music by
Reynaldo Hahn. This copy INSCRIBED and SIGNED by Proust "A Monsieur
Jules/Hommage bien sympathique et bien reconnaissant/de
l'auteur/Marcel Proust/14 Fevrier 1903." Any book signed by Proust is
quite scarce, this book especially so with only one copy showing up at
auction in the last 30 years and that in 1977. Proust moved in the
fashionable circles of Parisian society until the death of his parents
in 1904-05. Then he went into seclusion in a cork-lined room in
hisParis apartment where he devoted the rest of his life to writing
his immense autobiographical work A LA RECHERCHE DU TEMPS PERDU
(REMEMBRANCE OF THINGS PAST). A bulky, fragile book this copy has been
lovingly preserved. Largely unopened, Near Fine copy in wonderful
presentation.    $8500

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Payment with order; institutions may
be billed. Postage additional: $15.  Overseas postage billed at
approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.
Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  We are also
open to reasonable payment terms.  A book may be returned within 7
days of receipt for any reason provided it is in the same condition as
sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full
value.  We carry a select and diverse stock with major specialties
including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed
Books & Autographs, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to
be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
(ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB)
as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the
Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

610-682-4750; FAX: 610-682-4620
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page: http://www.erols.com/agvent