[Rarebooks] fs: The Earliest English Book on Tiles? (1794)

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Aug 10 06:05:58 EDT 2004

Offered by Joslin Hall Rare Books-

~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~

Henniker, John. TWO LETTERS ON THE ORIGIN, ANTIQUITY, AND HISTORY OF NORMAN
TILES, STAINED WITH ARMORIAL BEARINGS. London; printed by John
Bell...Bookseller to His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales: 1794
[mistakenly noted as 1796 by Solon].

The author states in his first letter-

"The armorial bearings which I have the honor of transmitting to your
Lordship, and to the Society of Antiquaries, were sent to me, some time
ago, from Caen, by my brother, Captain Henniker, then resident at the
place, and studious of its antiquities. I have hitherto delayed to bring
them forward, waiting for some information on the subject, from the
Professor of Rhetoric in the University there; to whom I have frequently
applied for assistance, both by letter, and in person. Having now given up
all hope of any satisfactory information from him, I have determined to
produce them with such gleanings of history as I myself have been able to
collect..."

He goes on to quote Dr. Ducarel's description of the pavements-

"The floor is paved with tiles...each near five inches square, baked almost
to vitrification. Eight rows of these tiles running from east to west are
charged with different coats of arms, generally said to be those of the
families who attended Duke William in his invasion of England. The
intervals between each of these rows are filled up with a kind of
tessellated pavement; the middle whereof represents a maze or labyrinth,
about ten feet in diameter, and so artfully contrived, that were we to
suppose a man following all the intricate meanders of its volutes, he could
not travel less than a mile before he got from one end to the other. The
remainder of this floor is inlaid with small squares of different colours,
placed alternately, and formed into draught or chess-boards, for the
amusement of the soldiery whilst on guard".

Solon further notes-

"The armorial-bearing tiles described in these letters belonged to a
pavement, now partly destroyed, which adorned the state-rooms of St.
Stephen Abbey or 'Abbaye aux hommes' at Caen, built in 1077 by William the
Conqueror. Although local traditions and ancient chronicles agree in
considering these tiles as containing the scutcheons of the noble families
which accompanied William, Duke of Normandy, in his expedition, the date of
their making cannot correspond with that of the building of the Abbey. One
of these tiles bears the Royal Arms of France, adopted by St. Louis, and it
is well known that the armorial bearings were not in use before the
crusades; the pavement cannot be, therefore, anterior to the thirteenth
century. The scutcheons are introduced in the borders of a vast
composition, the centre of which is occupied by the tracery of an intricate
labyrinth. People, in single file, could engage, under the guidance of a
leader, at the starting point of the meander, and follow the puzzling
course of the maze for almost the length of a mile without having once to
retrace their steps before they reached the point of issue. The march was
accompanied with the singing of a well-rhythmed tune, and, in this way, a
large crowd could be kept on the move without confusion for a considerable
time".

The earliest work in English located by Solon dealing specifically with tiles.

Hardcover.  5.5"x8.5", 114 pages plus 3 engraved plates reproducing twenty
tile designs; bound in contemporaneous marbled boards with a parchment
spine; boards worn and scuffed, spine perishing and hinges gone with the
result that the first several signatures are either loose or detached yet
everything is present and ready for a trip to the restorer's table; very
minor internal toning and a few light pencil notes but overall internally a
very nice copy with wide margins. [28444] $875.00

~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~

More Books on CERAMICS-
                     <http://www.joslinhall.com/certp.htm>

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject
categories, is updated daily and has full search
capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
discounts and offers on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges
are $5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns
if we are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America we are committed to upholding high professional
standards and making sure your bookbuying experience is
enjoyable.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com