[Rarebooks] FS: Documents by Signers of Declaration of Independence

Clare Murphy payson at oldbooks.com
Wed Dec 15 15:42:39 EST 2004

1.  MCKEAN, THOMAS (1734-1817) SIGNER FROM
PENNSYLVANIA.  ONE PAGE SIGNED DOCUMENT ON VELLUM
WITH APPLIED FULL SEAL [Ds]. Washington City.,
July 20, 1781. Signed by Thomas McKean. 14 1/2 x
7 1/2" Folio. As President of the Continental
Congress, McKean appointing Alexander Murray as
Lieutenant in the Continental Army. Edge chipping
and two small holes.

Thomas McKean was the son of immigrants from
Ireland. After a privileged and classic
education, he became a lawyer. His political life
began in 1762 and in 1765, he was a member of the
"Stamp Act" Congress. "A short time before the
meeting of the congress of 1774, Mr. M'Kean took
up his permanent residence in the city of
Philadelphia. The people of the lower counties on
the Delaware were anxious that he should
represent them in that body, and he was
accordingly elected as their delegate. On the 3rd
of September, he took his seat in that august
assemblage. From this time, until the 1st of
February, 1783, he continued annually to be
elected a member of the great national council, a
period of eight years and a half. This was the
only instance, it is said, in which any gentleman
was continued a member of congress, from 1774, to
the signing of the preliminaries of peace in
1783. It is also worthy of notice, that at the
same time he represented the state of Delaware in
congress, he was president of it in 1781, and
from July, 1777, was tile chief justice of
Pennsylvania. Such an instance of the same
gentleman being claimed as a citizen of two
states, and holding high official stations in
both at the same time, is believed to be without
a parallel in the history of our country."
Charles A. Goodrich Lives of the Signers to the
Declaration of Independence. New York: William
Reed & Co., 1856. Pages 323-337

Of his signing the Declaration of Independence.
McKean wrote, "I was then a member of congress
for the state of Delaware, was personally present
in congress, and voted in favour of independence
on the 4th of July, 1776, and signed the
declaration after it had been engrossed on
parchment, where my name, in my own hand writing,
still appears."

Alexander Murray was himself, important in
American military history. He was born July 12,
1755 in Chestertown, Md. During the Revolution,
he served a captain in the 1st Maryland Regiment,
commanded several privateers, and was
commissioned lieutenant in the Continental Navy
July 20, 1781 (this document), returning to
private life in 1785. Upon organization of the
U.S. Navy, Murray was commissioned captain July
1, 1798, and commanded Montezuma, Insurgente, and
Constellation during the quasi-war with France;
Constellation against the Barbary pirates in the
Mediterranean 1801-1803; and Adams in home waters
in 1805. From 1808 until he death  October 6,
1821, Murray was superintendent of gunboats at
Philadelphia, and from July 8,1813 also was first
commandant of the Philadelphia Navy Yard<BR> <A
HREF='http://www.oldbooks.com/images/72177.jpg'>
<BR>.  $1750.00

2.  WOLCOTT, OLIVER (1726-1797) SIGNER FROM
CONNECTICUT.  AUTOGRAPH DOCUMENT SIGNED [Ds].
Litchfield CT., December 12, 1754. Signed by
Oliver Wolcott. Docketed and inscribed document,
as Sheriff of Litchfield, CT, which job he held
from 1751-1775. This authorizes David Hamilton to
execute a summons, 4 7/8 x 6 1/2". Partially
printed on front, holograph on verso. Wear at
folds and mild staining.

Besides being a signer
of The Declaration of Independence, Wolcott was
Judge, 1750s, 60s; Militia leader, 1771-1774;
Commissioner of Indian Affairs, 1775, 1784-89;
Delegate to the Continental Congress, 1775-76,
1778-84; Brigadier General of the Connecticut
Militia, 1776Š Lt. Governor of Connecticut,
1786-96; Governor, 1796-97. Inscription by
Wolcott, in his hand, reads "Sharon, Dec. 12th
1754, I do authorize Mr. David Hamilton Jr. duly
to execute this writ. Teste Oliver Wolcott
Sheriff.<BR> <A
HREF='http://www.oldbooks.com/images/72178a.jpg'>
<BR> <BR> <A HREF='>   <BR>.  $750.00

--

Clare Murphy
Payson Hall Books

(617) 924-8484

payson at oldbooks.com

http://www.oldbooks.com

7 day return with notice, if not as described. 5
day hold. We accept Paypal, money orders, cashier
checks and personal checks from bookdealers and
known customers.