[Rarebooks] FS: John Leech, THE MONTH, 1851

Michael John Thompson mjt at mjtbooks.com
Fri Dec 17 20:11:18 EST 2004

Offering:

LEECH, John and Albert Smith.  THE MONTH. A View of Passing Subjects and
Manners, Home and Foreign, Social and General.  [London]: Published at the
Office of "The Month", No. 3, Whitefriars Street. July - December, 1851.
1st Edition. 16mo, 480 pp. Original half red morocco over marbled boards,
neatly rebacked. A bind up without wrappers of all six issues of this
Victorian Satirical magazine, July - December 1851, all published.
Published during the year of the Crystal palace exhibition, THE MONTH
contains current news and social parody, games, stories, music, puzzles and
adverts. Illustrated throughout by Leech. All title leaves bound in,
preliminary frontispiece plates (all six) are quite heavily foxed, other
plates are clean. Elaborate decorative bookplate on the front paste-down of
William Powell, with a note underneath this which states "From the library
of the late Sir J. Whittaker Ellis, Bt. Bought at Sotheby's Sale 31 March
1913".  Sir John Whittaker Ellis, 1829-1912, was Lord Mayor of London
1881-82. An old bookseller's notation in pencil states "Rare". Complete,
and, well - rare.

$475.00   US

Terms: As usual.

I'm not on Hornby Island quite yet, despite the signature line. I'm still
on Fort Street for a couple more weeks. 250-384-9977.
---
Michael John Thompson
5275 Jerow Road
Dunlop Point 1-3