[Rarebooks] Nietzsche's "Ecce Homo" - rare on Japanese velin

Schaberg at aol.com Schaberg at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 17:49:13 EST 2004

NIETZSCHE, ECCE HOMO, Insel Verlag, Leipzig, 1908. 1 leaf + TPs + 7-154 + 2
leaves, Square Quarto.

FIRST EDITION, Schaberg 61a.

$2,250

This copy is one of the rare (only 150 printed) copies on Japanese velin.
Schaberg 61a.
Released in an edition of 1,250 copies: 150 on Japanese velin and 1,100 on
parchment. The original copies were so expensive that this was dubbed the "bank
director's edition".

Nietzsche's famous autobiography which his sister, Elisabeth, withheld from
publication until eight years after his death. While surely autobiography, this
work is extremely stylized and defies any traditional classification. The
chapter titles are humorous in the extreme - "Why I Am So Wise", "Why I Am So
Clever", "Why I Write Such Good Books" and "Why I Am A Destiny" - and suggest the
exact opposite of the modest pose of Socrates who insisted that he was wise
because he knew he was not wise. Most importantly, the book presents
Nietzsche's own history and evaluation of his books which he clearly considered to be
his legacy to the world and the place where he had buried his "dynamite".

This copy is one of 150 printed on Japanese velin in gold and black inks and
is numbered #60. The boards are in grey leather. There is some old water
damage to the front cover (3" x 5") at top near spine, to the spine at top 4" and
on the rear cover in a triangular shape at the top by the spine (3" x 5").  A
light triangular discoloration continues on the text pages in the upper, gutter
corner -disappearing on page 50. Otherwise, a tight and clean copy.

PHOTOS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST

William H. Schaberg
Athena Rare Books
424 Riverside Drive
Fairfield CT 06824 USA

ph: 203-254-3125
fax: 203-254-3518
schaberg at aol.com

All items are offered subject to prior sale. All items are guaranteed as
described. We are willing to hold items for seven days. Items for any reason
unsatisfactory may be returned within ten days of receipt, with prior notice. Any
returns must be well packaged and sent in a traceable manner. Additional
insurance is not required for a return shipment. We accept checks (in U.S. currency)
and wire transfers. Connecticut residents please add appropriate sales tax.
Payment in advance is required for first time clients. We can offer deferred
billing to institutions. Shipping is not included in the book price. Minimum
domestic ground shipping is $5.00, with larger orders at cost. International air
and surface shipments at cost. Title to all material remains with Athena Rare
Books until receipt of payment in full.