[Rarebooks] FS: Gwendolyn Brooks Inscribed to John F. Kennedy

charles agvent agvent at erols.com
Fri Feb 13 09:06:31 EST 2004

One of many outstanding books in the field of African-American
Literature & History just listed in our New Arrivals for February,
along with 111 other mostly interesting items.  We also have a large
stock of books, autographs, and photographs in this area that can be
accessed using our search engine. Please visit:
http://www.erols.com/agvent

BROOKS, GWENDOLYN. THE BEAN EATERS. New York: Harper & Row (1960).
First Edition. Superbly INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author, the first
African American to win a Pulitzer Prize, to Senator John F. Kennedy
and dated October 1960 (Kennedy was elected President on 8 November
1960.): "In your second debate,/I was intrigued by what you/had to say
about beans!/Perfectly true.I've featured/them myself. In tribute
to/your 'bean truths' I want/to offer you this book./Best wishes to/a
great man./Sincerely,/Gwendolyn Brooks." The bean reference is to
Kennedy's remarks in his second debate (7 October 1960) with Nixon who
claimed that Kennedy was wrong in suggesting "--and I am glad he has
corrected this to an extent--that 17 million people go to bed hungry
every night in the United States." Kennedy responded by citing
testimony on the food stamp plan that "said there were 25 million
Americans who could not afford a [sic] elementary, low-cost diet, and
he [Mr. Benson] defined that as someone who uses beans in place of
meat.... You can't tell me anyone who uses beans instead of meat in
the United States, and there are 25 million of them according to Mr.
Benson, is well fed or adequately fed." It was Kennedy's performance
in the four nationally televised debates that helped to give him an
edge over Nixon, along with an enhanced standing among African
Americans when he came to the aid of Martin Luther King, Jr. after his
arrest in Atlanta prompting King's father, who was going to vote for
Nixon, to state, "Jack Kennedy has the moral courage to stand up for
what he knows is right." Kennedy won the popular vote by 0.2%.
Beautiful copy in dustwrapper with magnificent inscription.  $2000

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Payment with order; institutions may
be billed. Postage additional: $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each
thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.
Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa,
American Express and Discover accepted.  We are also open to
reasonable payment terms.  A book may be returned within 7 days of
receipt for any reason provided it is in the same condition as sent
and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full
value.  We carry a select and diverse stock with major specialties
including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed
Books & Autographs, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to
be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
(ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB)
as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the
Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

610-682-4750; FAX: 610-682-4620
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page: http://www.erols.com/agvent