[Rarebooks] Henry Blake Fuller, including autograph material.

Mark Stirling bookworm at tahoesnow.com
Thu Feb 12 23:05:33 EST 2004

For Sale from Up-Country Letters, South Lake Tahoe, California:

Fuller, Henry B. (Blake).   The Cliff-Dwellers.  A Novel.  New York:  Harper and Brothers, 1893.  First edition, first state, binding one (BAL 6465).  Original green cloth, gilt, black-stamped decoration on the front.  Somewhat rubbed, spine darkened, ownership markings.  A Good, sound copy.    $100

Fuller, Henry B. (Blake).   Gardens of This World.  New York:  Alfred A. Knopf, 1929.  First edition (BAL 6484).  Original cloth, gilt, and printed dust jacket.  One of two thousand numbered copies.  "The last word from the Chevalier (de Pensieri-Vani)" (contemporary review by Harry Hansen clipped from an unidentified newspaper and laid in).   Though Fuller had died just a week after submitting the final corrected proofs, this is a presentation copy.  Laid in is an autograph letter, signed, from his niece to a Mr. Rollins:  "Among my uncle's papers we found a list containing the names of those whom he wished to have first copies of his book, 'Gardens of This World'.  As your name was on the list I am sending you, under separate cover one of the several copies sent me by the publisher a few days ago."  Cloth damp-stained, paper a bit browned.  Jacket chipped with some loss at the top of the spine, damp-stained, spine darkened.  A Good copy, only.   Also laid in is an autograph letter, signed, from Fuller to Rollins, no date, arranging for a visit at Rollins' house.  Both letters are Fine.      $200

Fuller, Henry B. (Blake).   Not on the Screen.  New York and London:  Alfred A. Knopf, 1930.  First edition (BAL 6485).  Original printed cloth, pictorial dust jacket.  One of 3,000 numbered copies.  Fuller's last novel, he had died in 1929.  Cloth damp-stained, soiled.  Jacket stained, soiled, edge worn.  A Good copy, only.    $75

Fuller, H.B.  (Henry Blake).   Clipped autograph.  Yours thankfully, appreciatively, H.B. Fuller".  With then words or so from the letter on the obverse.  A Very Good specimen.    $30

Up-Country Letters is a rare bookselling concern operated by Mark Stirling.  We specialize in Nineteenth Century American and English Literature with an emphasis on Transcendentalism;   Emerson, Thoreau, and their friends and associates.  Most of our inventory may be seen on-line at www.abebooks.com.

   Any item may be returned within 10 days if found to be unsatisfactory.  Postage is extra and items will be shipped at cost.  Payment may be made by most of the major credit cards and personal checks are welcome.

Up-Country Letters,   P.O. Box 550367,  South Lake Tahoe, California  96155
(530) 577-2089                 bookworm at tahoesnow.com