[Rarebooks] OFFER: RICHARD BAXTER: POETICAL FRAGMENTS.

Laderman zita at speakeasy.net
Sat Feb 21 17:24:43 EST 2004

BAXTER, RICHARD:  POETICAL FRAGMENTS: HEART-IMPLOYMENT WITH GOD AND IT
SELF. The concordant discord of a broken-healed heart. Sorrowing-rejoicing,
fearing-hoping, dying-living. Written partly for himself, and partly for
near friends in sickness, and other deep affliction. ... London, Printed
for T. Parkhurst ...: 3d ed. 1699. [6] 162, [12] Pp. Page 160 numbered 190.
"A supplement to the Poetical fragments": p. 105-158. contain poetry by
Baxter never published before. This is the only edition other than the
First edition to do so. Baxter was a paradigm of a convinced evangelist who
labored through passion and thought to convey his view of religion and the
resulting pious behavior to all. His preaching and his writing was and
remains a powerful force in the English speaking world."The Saints' Ever
Lasting Rest", remains his most famous work. He is remembered now as one of
the founding fathers of nonconformity and for his devotional works. In his
epistle to the reader, the first 6 pages of the book, he states his poetic
credo that passion, and not only reason must fill man's works. He avers the
necessary importance of words and of music [meaning both music and the
music of language] and admits his grave doubts about his own gifts as a
poet. He admits that he is not excellent but he says: "A fidler may serve
at a country wedding: such cannot attain to the higher sort." [and places
himself with such a fiddler]. He lists his contemporaries and others who
have fulfilled his requirements for the "higher sort " and is unusual, in
his period in including a woman.  They are Abraham Cowly, Mr. Woodford,
Katherine Philips, George Withers, Quarles, Fulk Grevil, George Herbert and
George Sandys.[all naming and spelling is Baxter's]. CBEL, I, 695,
"Poetical fragments 1699(includes Additions to the poetical fragments
1700)." Noting only this among Baxter's literary works. Lowndes I, 128
Noting only the first edition of 1680 and the reprint of 1821. Wing B1351
Arber's Term Cat. III 166;  OCLC 8 Locs.  [NYP, EMU, UIU, KTS, BHA, CGU,
NOC, PUL]. No copy has been at auction since 1950. A Very Good copy in the
original plain, calf boards, with an old, but renewed, plain, calf spine,
old signatures of 18th century owners, Ann Salter and Rebekah Harris. $1000.00

I have been off line for some 10 days with, finally, errors at my telephone
company's office. Here is a title I have not heretofore noted.

ZITA BOOKS / NEW YORK, N.Y. / G. LADERMAN
telephone: 212-866-4715  email:zita at speakeasy.net

Carriage billed at cost. Payment in US dollar check or bank transfer required.
Credit cards accepted for payment through paypal. The usual trade discounts
offered.  Prices here quoted take precedence over any earlier listing.