[Rarebooks] Down the Colorado River in 1861... the Ives Report

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Jan 14 19:24:27 EST 2004

Ives, Lieutenant Joseph C. REPORT UPON THE COLORADO RIVER OF THE WEST,
EXPLORED IN 1857 AND 1858 BY LIEUTENANT JOSEPH C. IVES, CORPS OF
TOPOGRAPHICAL ENGINEERS...

Washington; Government Printing Office: 1861. Senate issue.

One of the finest of the Western travelogues, and one of the best
illustrated. This was the first study of the Colorado River, and is one of
the most desirable books on the River, its canyons and exploration. Ives
was sent West to explore the navigability of the Colorado and, as usual,
to check out the natives and landscape. The engraved and lithographed
views are spectacular, and the 7 chromolithographed plates of Native
Americans are also quite extraordinary. In addition, the Geological Report
by J.S. Newberry is worth noting as a detailed and fascinating account of
the formations and their geology; there are three lithographed plates of
fossils. Of additional interest, the frontispiece shows the expedition
traveling downstream on their steam-powered flatboat!

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02354.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02354a.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02354b.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02354c.jpg>

Hardcover. 9.5"x12", 131 + 14 + 154 + 30 + 32 pages; with b/w
illustrations in the text, plus 2 folding maps; 11 engravings and
lithographs of scenery; a profile plate of the route; 7 chromolithographed
plates of Indians; 3 lithographs of scenery and 3 of fossils; lacks, as is
so often the case, the two additional maps in the Geological section.
Original blindstamped covers with a gilt decoration of the steamboat;
bookplate; some mild internal soil and toning to page edges, minor
offsetting; front hinge apparently reglued; the most serious defect of
this very nice copy in the original binding is that folding Topographical
Plate 7 is inserted twice -once where it should be and once where #2
should be; and #2 isn't there at all. [02354] $850.00

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com