[Rarebooks] Julian Hawthorne, TLS, Temagami Mine fraud.

Mark Stirling bookworm at tahoesnow.com
Mon Jan 19 11:10:11 EST 2004

For Sale from Up-Country Letters, South Lake Tahoe, California:

Hawthorne, Julian. Typed letter, signed. Oct. 24, 1908. Over 300 words soliciting funds for the Temagami Mine scam that cost Hawthorne a year in federal prison. Hawthorne claimed that he was used by his partners (who were never convicted), that he didn't know the scheme was not legitimate. Most commentators today agree that he was duped. From the letter: "the time has now arrived when I want more money than the sort of literature I have produced can provide....For the time being I have given up literature, and am devoting my sole attention to Temagami" After prison, Hawthorne wrote The Subterranean Brotherhood, a bizarre, guilt laden indictment of the justice system in which he insisted that prisons should be abolished and criminals reformed by love. Folded twice for mailing, a Fine letter. Included are two letters (from the 1950's) from a relative of the addressee to John S. Mayfield,a collector (Dickinson, 1986)  who had asked for more information about the Temagami solicitation.    $175

Up-Country Letters is a rare bookselling concern operated by Mark Stirling.  We specialize in Nineteenth Century American and English Literature with an emphasis on Transcendentalism;   Emerson, Thoreau, and their friends and associates.  Most of our inventory may be seen on-line at www.abebooks.com.

   Any item may be returned within 10 days if found to be unsatisfactory.  Postage is extra and items will be shipped at cost.  Payment may be made by most of the major credit cards and personal checks are welcome.

Up-Country Letters,   P.O. Box 550367,  South Lake Tahoe, California  96155-0007.
(530) 577-2089                                                          bookworm at tahoesnow.com

(530) 577-2089
bookworm at tahoesnow.com