[Rarebooks] Stuff That Oriole Right into the Cage!! (1848)

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Mon Jan 19 19:53:28 EST 2004

Mann, James. THE AMERICAN BIRD-KEEPER'S MANUAL; or directions for the
proper management of American and Foreign Singing Birds. With particular
instructions for the Breeding of Canary Birds, and the proper treatment of
their young...

Boston; published by the author: 1848.

"...together with some remarks upon the diseases to which birds are liable
-prevention and remedies".

The first (and only) edition. According to an advertising page at the rear
of this interesting little American ante-bellum manual, Mann was a
taxidermist and dealer in American and foreign singing birds, fancy
pigeons and fowl. With the exception of the canaries and some of the
finches, it would be illegal to keep most of these songbirds in cages
these days. It is interesting to note that just about any wild bird
capable of uttering a warble was likely to get stuffed into a cage in the
1850s, including Baltimore orioles, blue jays (I can just imagine that
racket) and meadow larks, although of the latter the author notes that he
is not aware of any specimens yet having been kept in cages but hey, why
not?

The book also shows modern readers another facet of 19th century wildlife
"enthusiasm" -the wholesale introduction of birds from Europe to America,
such as sparrows and starlings, the last of which is well represented
here. Indeed, half the book is taken up with foreign species that would do
well in American cages. Before moving on to canaries the author treats
several species of parrots, among them the gray or African parrot, which
he fed bread and milk and once taught to whistle "Over the Water to
Charley".

Hardcover. 4.5"x6.5", viii, 166 pages; original brown blindstamped cloth,
covers with minor wear and soil, tips and spine head slightly rubbed and
chipped, some internal browning and a little soil; one gather slightly
loose. [05113] $100.00

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com