[Rarebooks] fs: American Revolutionary Paintings - W.L. Andrews 1/185 copies

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Fri Jan 23 13:32:07 EST 2004

Andrews, William Loring. AN ESSAY ON THE PORTRAITURE OF THE AMERICAN
REVOLUTIONARY WAR, being An Account of a number of the Engraved Portraits
connected therewith, remarkable for their rarity or otherwise
interesting... To which added an Appendix containing lists of Portraits of
Revolutionary characters to be found in various English and American
publications of the eighteenth and the early part of the nineteenth
century.

New York; Printed by Gilliss Brothers for the author in an edition of 185
copies on hand-made paper; an additional 15 copies were printed on
Imperial Japan paper:1896.

An interesting and enjoyable work by an inveterate Americanist and
collector of both prints and books. Andrews points out that some of the
"portraits" are works of imagination rather than accurate portrayals of
the subjects, and attempts to provide a survey of other portraits which
appeared in period magazines.

"Although there are a few errors in the publication, Andrews' knowledge of
the subject is thorough" (Karpel) K661.

Hardcover.  6.5"x9.5", viii + 100 pages, plus 18 gravure plates with
tissue guards illustrating 20 portraits. Bound in old crimson half-leather
with raised bands and gilt spine medallions; marbled boards and endpapers.
A fine copy internally, with light wear to the covers; hinges loose, front
hinge leather separating. [28149] $375.00

Illustrations-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-28149.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-28149-a.jpg>

Add this book to your shopping cart at Joslin Hall by clicking this link-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/bookstore/index.cgi?pid=28149>

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5%
state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com