[Rarebooks] fs: Trifling in the Auction Rooms... 1805

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Sat Jan 24 09:39:50 EST 2004

(Graves, Richard). "THE TRIFLERS; consisting of trifling essays, trifling
anecdotes, and a few poetical trifles. By an Adept in the Art of Trifling..."

London; printed for the Author's Executrix and sold by H.D. Symonds...: 1805.

"to which is added The Rout. A new edition. With a few Additions, corrected by
the Author. Also the Farmer's Son, by the late Rev. R. Graves...".

A curious compilation of essays and poetry, some vaguely-humorous with a dry-as-
bone wit, some simply preachy. But there is a very interesting and witty essay
on an afternoon at the action rooms at Bath-

"Now came the principal object of Lady Bustleton's attention -an elegant
mahogany chest of drawers; an useful piece of furniture which her ladyship
wanted. "Half a guinea, (cries one of her ladyship's humble companions) "A
guinea and a half," (cries some spirited bidder) "five shillings more", says
the young lady; in short it went on to three guineas and a half! - four
guineas!" cries her ladyship herself, when down it was knocked. Well! says one
of her companions, it is a perdigious bargain! Yes! indeed, says another of her
ladyship's friends, I had no ideur it would have gone under five guineas. A
plain looking man, who sat beside me (and who I found was a cabinet maker)
whispered to one who sat next to him "it went new out of my shop for three
guineas"."

A second edition was published in 1806. Neither edition is all that common -
OCLC locates six copies of each. Hardcover. 4.5"x7.5", viii + 177 + 2 pages,
engraved frontispiece. Rebound in 1/2 red leather with a ribbed spine and gilt
title; red cloth boards. Spine rubbed; pp. 83/4 with a professional-looking
tape repair; some scattered foxing and a little browning. Handsome bookplate
and small bookseller's ticket on front pastedown. [03348] $150.00

Illustration-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-03348.jpg>

____________________________

Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is updated
daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers on
selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00
for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com