[Rarebooks] fs: Josiah Wedgwood says- "GET BACK TO WORK!!" (1783)

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Sat Jan 24 09:44:43 EST 2004

Wedgwood, Josiah. AN ADDRESS TO THE YOUNG INHABITANTS OF THE POTTERY.

Newcastle; J. Smith: 1783.

In 1783 the war with America and the Industrial Revolution had both caused
unrest in the manufacturing districts of England. The cotton spinners had begun
to destroy their own factories and robbers and highwaymen ruled the roads. To
the general unrest was added resentment at provision dealers who were felt to
be overcharging the poor and taking advantage of the workers. A mob seized one
of Wedgwood's barges and sold the contents at auction, whereupon Wedgwood sent
for help and received a company of Welsh Fusileers and Staffordshire Militia,
who arrested and hanged several of the alleged culprits.

After the tumult had calmed, Wedgwood made an address to the workmen of his
factory which was also printed up in pamphlet form and distributed amongst
them. Dated March 27th, 1783, Wedgwood addresses "My Young Friends", assuring
them that they are more apt to be deluded and lacking in judgment than those
of "riper years". He draws their attention to the difficulty of judging which
side to take, and which side is right and which is wrong, especially in "the
unsettled state of the mind in the midst of riot and tumult", but he also draws
their attention to "the danger of judging and acting wrong" -no doubt a pointed
reference to those about to be swinging from local gallows.

Wedgwood calls for calm, explains at length the reasons for food and provision
shortages, and, pointing out that the farmer and tradesman must also make a
living, outlines at length his own proposals for renewed commerce and
betterment of trade. He ends by urging the workmen to consider themselves lucky
to be working under the paternalism of the factory system which has bettered
their condition considerably from what their parents enjoyed-

"I would request you to ask your parents for a description of the country we
inhabit when they first knew it... Their houses were miserable huts; the lands
poorly cultivated... roads almost impassable... Compare this picture...with the
present state of the country. The workmen earning near double their former
wages -their houses mostly new and comfortable, and the lands, roads and every
other circumstance bearing evident marks of the most pleasing and rapid
improvements. From whence, and from what cause has this happy change taken
place? Industry is the parent of this happy change."

So be quiet and get back to work.

Hardcover.  4"x6.5", 24 pages, bound in nice full leather with gilt spine
decoration, light cover wear and rubbing, contents with very minor soil,
trimmed just a bit closely, but not affecting text or page numbering; overall
near fine. [12169] $4500.00

Illustrations-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/g-12169.htm>

____________________________

Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is updated
daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers on
selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00
for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com