[Rarebooks] LEGAL HISTORY: PRESIDENT TAFT'S COPY

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Thu Jul 1 15:25:50 EDT 2004

We  can offer President (& Chief Justice) Taft's copy of the following
authoritative work by Sir William R. Anson, whose work is described by the
DNB as having "combined real learning with wide knowledge of affairs."
ANSON, SIR WILLIAM R.   THE LAW AND CUSTOM OF THE CONSTITUTION. In three
volumes.
Oxford: Clarendon Press, &c,  1909/07/08 (4th/3rd/3rd editions.)  Original
cloth stamped in gold and blind, a few pages carelessly opened, otherwise
there is only slight wear; a well-preserved set.  Volume I has the
attractive bookplate executed by Frederick Spenceley in 1909 (while Taft
was in the White House.)  with the President's name beneath an image of a
porticoed mansion; other elements in the bookplate are the Seal of the
U.S., books including one (a Bible?) in Hebrew, wheat (?), &c.  (Taft's
first love was the law; before becoming President he was was Solicitor
General of the U.S., a federal judge and Dean of the Law School at the
University of Cincinnati; in later years he was appointed Chief Justice of
the U.S., a position that he found much more congenial than the
Presidency.)  $350.00
THE AMERICANIST (ABAA),   1525 Shenkel Road,  Pottstown,  Pa, USA,
19465-7221.Telephone:  610 323 5289.  email:  nkane at kanebooks.com.
Fax 610 323 0885
Proprietor: Norman Kane (50 years as an antiquarian bookseller.)
We accept visa, mastercard, checks (in US funds drawn on a US bank),
cash (by registered mail) and money orders.
Postage is charged at approximate cost.  Institutions may be billed.  A
courtesy discount is extended to bona fide book dealers.  Pennsylvania
residents who are not tax-exempt should expect to pay the 6% State Sales
Tax. Returns are accepted within 10 days of receipt of books; we ask that
you notify us and pack the item well and insure it.  We are off the beaten
track and our hours are somewhat irregular, so we recommend you call first
for directions and appointment.