[Rarebooks] When Irish Eyes are Flying...

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Jul 29 08:39:22 EDT 2004

Corkey, Alexander. THE TRUTH ABOUT IRELAND or,
THROUGH THE EMERALD ISLE WITH AN AEROPLANE.

Oskaloosa, Iowa; Shockley Bros. & Cook: 1910.

A very early aeroplane travelogue and probably the first book with aerial
views of the Irish countryside. The author notes-

"The aeroplane is man's latest invention. ... One of the most delightful
uses of the aeroplane is in sightseeing. Aerial tourist travel will soon
become popular, as a bird's-eye view of a country is the most satisfactory
of all".

All is not always well however, and early aeroplane tourism could produce
some hair-raising moments-

     "After his second circle around the flat plain, which is half a mile
square, Mike started east, and in a couple of minutes the earth was 2,500
feet below us. The suddenness of the appearance of this vast abyss between
us and land seemed to unnerve Mike for a moment. I almost collapsed. Then
Mike did a foolish thing. He imagined he could glide down from this height,
and he shut off the motor. We glided some 300 feet, and then I could feel
the aeroplane begin to sink under us. What happened I do not just know. The
first intimation I had of real danger was Mike's face as he quickly turned
to start the motor. I could hear the big propellers whiz behind me. In
starting the motor Mike released a lever for an instant. As we were
descending with lightning speed this was almost the cause of a fatal
disaster. The aeroplane began to rock violently, and I was almost thrown
from my seat. The accident to Orville Wright and Lieutenant Selfridge at
Washington the year before flashed before my mind. I wondered if Mike could
regain control of the machine. I caught the sides of my seat and braced
myself against the foot-rail. Even then I had difficulty holding on. I
glanced at Mike. His face was pale. His eyes shone. Every muscle and nerve
was tense. He was like a rider on a runaway horse, determined to assert his
mastery. His self-control was perfect. In spite of Mike's coolness I am
surprised we escaped. As the aeroplane kept sinking and rocking like a ship
in a storm, I closed my eyes and resigned myself to my fate...".

Hardcover. 5.5"x8", 135 pages, 10 b/w plates; publisher's green cloth with
black titles; a little light wear at tips, etc., but a beautiful, bright
copy. [05014] $150.00

Illustration-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05014.jpg>

More Aviation-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/aviation.htm>

More Ireland-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Ireland.htm>

_______________________________________

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject
categories, is updated daily and has full search
capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
discounts and offers on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges
are $5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns
if we are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America we are committed to upholding high professional
standards and making sure your bookbuying experience is
enjoyable.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com