[Rarebooks] fs: Hold Your Tongue!! (1814)

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Jul 29 08:43:52 EDT 2004

[Bordelon, Abbe Laurent]. THE MANAGEMENT OF THE TONGUE...  Boston;
Published by Isaiah Thomas, Jun.; John Elliot, Printer: 1814. 2nd edition.

The first "Theophrastan" character-study to be published in America.
Theophrastus, a student of Aristotle and famous scientist and author in his
own right, wrote a series of character studies of Athenians which has been
used as an inspiration by modern authors since at least the 16th century.
Theophrastan character studies, while generally sharp-edged and with
satiric overtones, are usually not overtly satirical.

"The Management of the Tongue" was written by the Abbe Laurent Bordelon
[1653-1730] and first published in France in 1705. It includes such
characters as The Babbler, The Silent Man, The Droll, The Jester, The
Disputer, The Swearer, The Reprover, The Adviser and many more. He also
includes a chapter on conversation in general, and the Language of Love,
and focuses his text on self-help- "The reader will not find here any
metaphysical abstractions, any advices more spiritual than practicable, nor
any idea of a perfection so sublime, that men do commonly despair to attain
to them. This book contains nothing but familiar truths, and such practices
as are not above the reach of those who will make trial of them... I writ
this book, and this book improves me every day. The more I reflect on what
it contains, the more I polish and perfect myself".

The first English edition was printed in 1706 and the first American
edition in 1783. There are Isaiah Thomas Jr. editions of 1813, 1814, and
1817. OCLC locates 10 copies of this, the 1814 edition.

Hardcover, 3.75"x6.5", 250 pages; bound in the original publisher's blue
paper-covered boards, boards very rubbed, some soil; spine partially
perished along the head and base; front hinge split and hanging on by two
cords; scattered light to moderate internal foxing. Embossed stamp of the
American Antiquarian Society, and embossed "duplicate sold" stamp of the
A.A.S. [04920] $200.00

Illustration-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-04920.jpg>

_______________________________________

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject
categories, is updated daily and has full search
capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
discounts and offers on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges
are $5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns
if we are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America we are committed to upholding high professional
standards and making sure your bookbuying experience is
enjoyable.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com