[Rarebooks] FS: Inscribed W. H. Auden with a Letter

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Jul 29 09:58:43 EDT 2004

One of a number of fine W. H. Auden items in our list of  103 New
Arrivals:  Poets & Presidents.   The list also includes many wonderful
signed books, manuscripts, photos, and letters by Robert Frost, Eleanor
Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan, William Carlos Williams, and others.  Please
visit: http://www.erols.com/agvent

AUDEN,  W. H. FOR THE TIME BEING. New York: Random House
        (1944).  First Edition. Bloomfield A26a. Precedes the English
        edition.  Consists  of two of Auden's strongest  works:  "The
        Sea and   the  Mirror"  and  the   title  poem  subtitled  "A
        Christmas  Oratorio." INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the poet on the
        front endpaper  to  John  Aiken  "with all  good  wishes"  in
        October  1944 and with two manuscript corrections by Auden in
        the text.  In addition, laid in is an AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED
        by Auden  on a postcard to Aiken dated 6 October 1944 of  @70
        words regarding  returning  the  enclosed  book  and  another
        matter.  Auden  concludes:  "I hope very much we  shall  meet
        again.  That summer happened to be a crisis(?) for me and you
        and Peggy  were a great help. yours ever Wystan Auden." Spine
        of book  a little darkened, mild wear to upper front  corner.
        Very Good, lacking the dustwrapper.                  $1000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 7 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club (UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent