[Rarebooks] FS: Jazz Singer Sarah Vaughan's Personal Travel Diaries

charles agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Mar 2 09:25:09 EST 2004

VAUGHAN, SARAH. AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT TRAVEL DIARY IN FOUR JOURNALS.
Four small journals containing amongst them approximately 36 pages
filled out in the great jazz singer's hand recording information about
various places including New York, London, Warsaw, Los Angeles, and
Japan, from September 1969 to March 1984. Vaughan was by no means a
dedicated diarist, but she does give a sense of what her travel
conditions were like and whether or not the shows were successful. The
most detailed of the journals is the earliest, which contains entries
from her 1969 Japan tour, her 1975 tour of Warsaw and London ("F-ck
Warsaw, on to Freedom" she writes after that concert), and her 1984
return trip to Japan. Vaughan mentions her meetings with the legendary
promoter George Wein and performing with the Newport All Stars
including Dizzy Gillespie. She describes a club in Kyoto as "Lousey
really a hoar house--noisy as hell--nasty back stage gorgeous out
front.... Did show walked off--No [?] evil as a M.F. Went to bed
evil." Writing about an upcoming trip to Africa, Vaughan says, "I am
tired I need a vacation badly so I can be normal & happy again."
Another entry: "Doing an album with Mandy Patinkin.... Harry is
gone--Oh happy Day--He quit--I did it again--God is good." Most pages
blank in all journals, including one that has only one page filled in
giving Vaughan's name, address, birthdate and physical features, and
religion (Baptist). One wishes she had written more as the diva's
remarks are straightforward and personal. Near Fine    $500

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Payment with order; institutions may
be billed. Postage additional: $15.  Overseas postage billed at
approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.
Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  We are also
open to reasonable payment terms.  A book may be returned within 7
days of receipt for any reason provided it is in the same condition as
sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full
value.  We carry a select and diverse stock with major specialties
including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed
Books & Autographs, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to
be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
(ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB)
as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the
Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

610-682-4750; FAX: 610-682-4620
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page: http://www.erols.com/agvent