[Rarebooks] fs: Rise and Progress of Art in US by Dunlap -2 important editions

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Mar 2 12:03:44 EST 2004

Dunlap, William. HISTORY OF THE RISE AND PROGRESS OF THE ARTS OF DESIGN IN
THE UNITED STATES.

New York; George P. Scott and Co.: 1834.

There is actually not much need to pontificate at length upon the extreme
importance of Dunlap's work -it is the granddaddy of all other historical
surveys of the American arts, and in many ways the foundation upon which
all subsequent studies have been based. If Dunlap had not recorded this
information much, if not most of it, would have been irretrievably lost
before other researchers got around to caring about the subject at the end
of the nineteenth century. An invaluable reference for the student of
American painters, sculptors and miniaturists.

Hardcover. 2 volumes. 6.25"x9.75", 433 + viii + 480 pages. Original board
covers with patterned cloth spines; covers with moderate wear including
some soil; spine heads and bases chipped; tips rounded; outer cloth on
Vol. 1 spine splitting; slightly shaken; moderate internal foxing, as is
so often the case. [03048] $500.00

Illustration-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-03048.jpg>

Dunlap, William. A HISTORY OF THE RISE AND PROGRESS OF THE ARTS OF DESIGN
IN THE UNITED STATES.

Boston; C.E. Goodspeed & Co.: 1918. 2nd, revised edition.

First published in 1834, this is a dramatically augmented and revised
edition of this seminal work. There is actually not much need to
pontificate at length upon the extreme importance of Dunlap's book -it is
the granddaddy of all other historical surveys of the American arts, and
in many ways the foundation upon which all subsequent studies have been
based. If Dunlap had not recorded this information much, if not most of
it, would have been irretrievably lost before other researchers got around
to caring about the subject at the end of the nineteenth century. It
remains an invaluable reference for the student of American painters,
sculptors and miniaturists.

The question of this second edition, as edited by Frank W. Bayley and
Charles E. Goodspeed, as an improvement over the first is a hard one, not
because there is not a host of new and corrected material, there is, but
rather because the editors also deleted material. As they note in their
preface-

"The peculiar nature of Dunlap's work -its' faulty composition, irregular
orthography, duplications, irrelevancies and prolixity- have made the
editors' office a difficult one".

Well, perhaps they overstate a bit, but they certainly have made the book
a much more useful tool for the art historian and enthusiast.
Unfortunately, in the process of doing this, in some sort of ill-advised
late-Edwardian fit of "purification", they deleted material they judged
"irrelevant"-

"If the reader of the first edition should in this one miss some passages,
including a few extraneous anecdotes of Stuart and Jarvis, verses by
Allston, a technical treatise on miniature painting by Cummings, and
various notes of small value or ephemeral interest, we trust he will find
the new matter, far exceeding these omissions in importance, a sufficient
compensation".

Well, quite frankly -no. The new material is wonderful, but we wanted
those extraneous anecdotes about Stuart as well, and will certainly miss
Cummings' technical notes on miniature painting. Oh well, in every new
edition a little rain must fall... but I want my Allston verses back!

Hardcover. 3 volumes.  6.5"x9.5", xiv + 391 pages; xi + 403 pages; xi +
418 pages; many b/w plates throughout. Publisher's green ribbed cloth with
gilt titles; top edges gilt; untrimmed fore-edges. Some general light soil
and a little dustiness; text slightly browned, a few tips bumped. [04999]
$250.00

Illustration-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-04999.jpg>

_____________________________________

More books on art-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/arttp.htm>

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa, Mastercard and
Discover.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com