[Rarebooks] Stephen Crane

Mark Stirling bookworm at tahoesnow.com
Fri Mar 12 19:01:56 EST 2004

For Sale from Up-Country Letters, South Lake Tahoe, California:

Linson, Corwin K. (Knapp).   My Stephen Crane.  (No place):  Syracuse University Press, 1958.  First edition.  Original cloth, dust jacket.  "Linson's memoirs have extraordinary importance" (Stallman, 1972, p.430).  Inscribed by the author on the front free endpaper as follows:  "To Donald P. Bean, Director , Syracuse University Press:  A foreword:  This is not a biography.  As I was closely associated with Stephen Crane through the too short years of his life, and as there is no one left of those who knew him who might cover the same ground, the record has been put in the following pages.  With sincere regard, Corwin Knapp Linson.  May 26, 1958.  Linson was a painter;  he uses his oil of Crane as a frontisportrait.  First appearance of several letters and clears up some controversies of Crane biographers and bibliographers.  Fine copy in a Very Good jacket (creases to top edge).    $100

Up-Country Letters is a rare bookselling concern operated by Mark Stirling.  We specialize in Nineteenth Century American and English Literature with an emphasis on Transcendentalism;   Emerson, Thoreau, and their friends and associates.  Most of our inventory may be seen on-line at www.abebooks.com.

   Any item may be returned within 10 days if found to be unsatisfactory.  Postage is extra and items will be shipped at cost.  Payment may be made by most of the major credit cards and personal checks are welcome.

Up-Country Letters,   P.O. Box 550367,  South Lake Tahoe, California  96155
(530) 577-2089                 bookworm at tahoesnow.com