[Rarebooks] F.S. -One Special Summer- Jacqueline & Lee Bouvier

bookmaven bookmaven at comcast.net
Wed Nov 17 10:37:34 EST 2004

For your consideration: One Special Summer, Delacourt Press, N.Y., 1974,
First Trade Edition:
Jacqueline Bouvier, at 22 and Lee Bouvier at 18 take their first trip to
together to Europe in 1951. This book as a "thank you" present for their
parents, and written exactly as they lived it. Wonderful black and white and
color photographs, drawings and decorations by the sisters in color and
black and white. The text is a reproduction of their own handwriting.
Visiting England, Italy, Spain and France, reflecting their youthful sense
of humor and the innocence of two young sophisticated women traveling alone
in the early 1950's. All their experiences are lively, and interesting; such
as Jackie's sitting for a portrait for Pericle Fazzini, and their visit with
Berenson, Bernard Berenson, 1865-1959, American art critic and connoisseur
of Italian art. Excerpt: "I know you are right about us representing our
country and that we must never do anything that would call attention to us
and make people shocked at Americans. We DO sew ok all our buttons and wear
gloves and never go out in big cities except in what we would wear to church
in Newport on Sundays......DON'T WORRY - we won't come home with liver
trouble! We eat and drink terribly sensibly - Plenty of dates and fresh
vegetables". Pictures of their passports and other documents. A wonderful
and refreshing look at these two great women as young ladies. Aqua and white
paper marbled boards, blue foil illustration of the sisters, one kneeling to
photograph the other. DW blue marbled, photo of sisters in middle, yellow
and orange tint lettering, drawing of sisters passports with original photos
to rear dw, price clipped. DW small chips to spine ends, edge wear, chip and
closed tear to rear left corner, various small closed edge tears. In brodart
mylar. tall 4to, no paginated.  $150.00
Thank you for you for looking.
Michelle Levick
Bookmaven, Inc.
www.bookmaven.net
Ventnor NJ 08406
Accepting: Visa, Mastercard, Paypal, Money Orders, Personal Checks