[Rarebooks] Re: [b] FS: W.B. Yeats: THREE THINGS, 1/500 Signed

David Klappholz d.klappholz at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 3 12:51:30 EDT 2004

I assume that Charles means "increasingly uncommon on the market."  It's
pretty clear that desirable material has that property.  For example, good
Samuel Johnson material was quite a bit more common (on the market) before
the resurgence of interest in the early 20th century.  By now incredibly
little ms material and very few association copies come to market as so
much has gone into libraries.  The same likely holds true for Hemingway
material, but, probably, to a lesser extent.  In my own narrow little
corner of the collecting world, material on book collecting, both private
and institutional, and on antiquarian bookselling, material dribbles in far
more slowly than it did 20 years ago...and it's not that I already have
everything because I still buy good association copies of titles of which I
already have multiple association copies...and, of course, every letter or
ms is unique.

...and then there's the fact that fragile material can deteriorate to the
point of undesirability.

Dave