[Rarebooks] FS: Signed First Edition of Upton Sinclair's THE JUNGLE, 1906

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Oct 11 12:41:13 EDT 2004

SINCLAIR,  Upton. THE JUNGLE. New York: Doubleday,  Page
         1906. First  Edition.  Sinclair's  powerful exposure  of  the
         Chicago  meat-packing  industry, still a staple on the  menus
         of many  high school reading lists. His account of the social
         and human    abuses  of  the   yards,  where   packers   used
         "everything  about  the hog except the squeal," led to  major
         reforms  in  the industry and, along with UNCLE TOM'S  CABIN,
         is one  of  the few American novels to have a lasting  impact
         on the  way  we  live our lives. Indeed, when this  book  was
         published  Jack London said, "What Uncle Tom's Cabin did  for
         black slaves,  The  Jungle has a large chance to do  for  the
         white slaves  of today." Later in life, Sinclair said of  his
         masterpiece:  "I aimed at the public's heart and by  accident
         I hit it  in  the stomach." INSCRIBED and SIGNED by  the author
         on the  front  free  endpaper "To  Miss  Clementine  [?]/Very
         Sincerely/Upton  Sinclair."  This is the first issue  of  the
         Doubleday  imprint.  We once handled a letter from  Sinclair,
         signed  in  type by him, about the publishing history of  THE
         JUNGLE  in which he stated that the Doubleday edition offered
         here and  Sinclair's own Jungle Publishing Co. edition  "were
         printed  at the same time and published simultaneously." This
         book is  usually found inscribed "by the author"; copies with
         his signature,  such  as this one, are not nearly as  common.
         Neat bookplate  of  Carl A. B. Voss on the  front  pastedown.
         Minor wear,  some  soiling to the rear. Very Good or  better.
                                                              $2500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 7 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club (UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent