[Rarebooks] fs-A Selection from Stock, with Images

Joe Luttrell rarelaw at meyerbos.com
Mon Oct 18 20:34:16 EDT 2004

A selection of works which we have in stock, with images of them;
for others, please feel free to browse our web site, where you
may search our entire inventory by any word or phrase:
www.meyerbos.com

1.  [BRANDEIS, LOUIS D.].  Address of Mr. Louis D. Brandeis, Of the
Boston Bar [on Scientific Management]. Not in Mersky [compare
Mersky p.21 locating this address published in The Journal of
Accountancy].  The Knickerbocker Press [for The Economic Club of
New York], New York, 1911.  Original red cloth, gilt, a very good
copy, the first Year Book to include the dinner addresses, this
limited edition available to members only. [71922] PHOTO:
http://www.meyerbos.com/bookListing.cgi?bookNo=71922     $ 125.00

Part of Brandeis' long struggle in fighting the railroad monopoly
and its inefficiencies, and "of great importance in his thinking
about the labor problem", leading to the imposition of scientific
management practices upon the railroad industry.

2.  BUGBEE, Bruce W.  Genesis of American Patent and Copyright Law. Public
Affairs Press, Washington, 1967.  Original blue cloth, gilt,
the spine faded, ex-library; a usable copy only. [71944] PHOTO:
http://www.meyerbos.com/bookListing.cgi?bookNo=71944     $ 150.00

A work examining fully the antecedents of United States patent and
copyright laws, with chapters on their European origins, the
American colonial period, and contemporaneous state patent and
copyright laws; with a foreword by Luther H. Evans.

3.  GLANVILLA, Ranulpho de.  Tractatus de Legibus et
Consuetudinibus Regni Angliae, Tempore Regis Henrici secundi
Compositus [etc.]. Wing G839.  Printed by J. Streater, H. Twyford,
and E. Flesher [etc.], London, 1673.  Contemporary calf, somewhat
rubbed, label lacking, light browning, yet a very crisp, fresh
copy. [71956] PHOTO:
http://www.meyerbos.com/bookListing.cgi?bookNo=71956     $ 850.00

The third and last early edition of the first treatise on English
law, believed to have been written between 1187 and 1189, and for
which Maitland reserved the highest of praise, calling it "of great
value to students of legal and social history".

4.  HART, H.L.A.  Definition & Theory in Jurisprudence.  At the
Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1961.  Original stapled printed wraps,
quite worn but usable, 28 pages, Martin Wight's copy, with his
ownership signature and ?his markings and emphases. [71920] PHOTO:
http://www.meyerbos.com/bookListing.cgi?bookNo=71920     $ 150.00

Original issuance of Hart's first separately published work, his
inaugural lecture given upon his election to the Chair of
Jurisprudence at Oxford (succeeding A.L. Goodhart), "put[ting] him
at once in controversy" and anticipating his Concept of Law.

5.  MAITLAND, F.W. (ed.).  Select Pleas in Manorial and Other
Seignorial Courts. Volume I [all published]. Reigns of Henry III
and Edward I.  Bernard Quaritch [for the Selden Society], London,
1889.  ?Later blue cloth, gilt, a bit worn and a few notes,
ex-library, yet a usable copy. [71935] PHOTO:
http://www.meyerbos.com/bookListing.cgi?bookNo=71935     $ 150.00

The original edition of the Selden Society's second annual volume,
chiefly inspired by Vinogradoff's work on the manor and printing
materials of which Maitland observed to Ames "I know no rolls more
interesting than the earliest manorial rolls".

6.  STOKES, Anson Phelps.  Church and State in the United States,
Historic Development and Contemporary Problems of Religious Freedom
under the Constitution. Three Volumes [complete].  Harper &
Brothers Publishers, New York, 1950.  Original cloth, gilt, a very
good set in slightly worn dustjackets, preserved in a defective
box. [71954] PHOTO:
http://www.meyerbos.com/bookListing.cgi?bookNo=71954     $ 225.00

A classic work, praised by Charles Beard and Charles Warren, among
others, bringing together and annotating the major documents in
church-state relations since American independence; "an
indispensable resource for historians of American religion".

7.  STORY, Joseph.  A Selection of Pleadings in Civil Actions,
Subsequent to the Declaration. With Occasional Annotations on the
Law of Pleading. Cohen 9274.  Published by Barnard B. Macanulty,
Salem, 1805.  Later 3/4 buckram over marbled boards, the original
label preserved, quite browned and foxed, but usable; with the
six-page Macanulty catalogue appended. [71936] PHOTO:
http://www.meyerbos.com/bookListing.cgi?bookNo=71936     $ 750.00

First edition of the first law treatise which we may definitely
attribute solely to Story, and marking the first correspondence
between Story and Jefferson, to whom Story sent a copy; arranged by
subject, with Story's notes following the pleas.

****************************
  Meyer Boswell Books, Inc.
  Rare and Scholarly Law Exclusively
  2141 Mission Street #302
  San Francisco CA 94110
  415 255 6400
  415 255 6499 FAX
  rarelaw at meyerbos.com
  www.meyerbos.com

  Member, Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
  and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers