[Rarebooks] fs: Wonderful Victorian Garden Association Copy

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Apr 6 18:24:17 EDT 2005

Inscribed to the man who developed one of New York's greatest Victorian
day-excursion parks, and who brought the subway to New York City-

Henderson, Peter. PRACTICAL FLORICULTURE; A Guide to the Successful
Cultivation of Florists' Plants, for the Amateur and Professional Florist.
New York; Orange Judd Company: 1874. New & Enlarged edition. A very popular
19th century guide to garden planning, greenhouses, cultivation,
propagation, insects, &c.

This copy is inscribed to John H. Starin, a prominent New York shipping
magnate and developer and owner of Glen Island, one of the most popular and
successful day-excursion parks in 19th century America. Built on a series
of small wooded islands in Long Island Sound, Glen Island was beautifully
and imaginatively landscaped, and the islands were linked with picturesque
footbridges. Intended to be conducive to women and families, they provided
a "genteel" alternative to the rowdier attractions of Coney Island. Starin
collected statues and exotic plants to decorate the parks on Glen Island,
and erected a conservatory, museum, zoo, aviary, bathing houses, fish
ponds, bowling alleys, and a dancing pavilion there. Many years there would
be a different "exotic" feature- one year it was a German Village, another
year a four-story Chinese pagoda.

We would be remiss if we did not mention here Starin's other legacy to New
York -the subway system. In 1893 Jay Gould's Manhattan Company laid before
the New York Transit Commission a proposal which would have, in effect,
given the financier who controlled all of New York's elevated railroads
complete control of all New York transit for an indefinite period of time.
The proposal needed the unanimous approval of the Commission, and was
defeated when Starin was the only one of its five members to vote against
it. The next year a new Commission, on which Starin also sat, voted to
develop a subway system for the city instead of more elevated rail lines.

But back to gardening, for Starin's landscaping activities were not
confined to New York. His father founded Fultonville, New York, and Starin
and his brothers ran the town after his father's death. Starin eventually
turned the family farm there into a beautifully landscaped 600-acre estate
called "Prospect Hill". This book is inscribed "To The Honb'l John H.
Starin with compliments of Peter Henderson, October 22nd, 1878". An
interesting gardening association. Hardcover. 5"x7.5", 311 pages, text
illustrations; publisher's brick-red cloth with gilt bouquet on the cover.
Light wear, a little rubbing to the covers, spine head dented, but overall
a very nice copy. [07280] $125.00

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.