[Rarebooks] fs: Renaissance Art / Art History in the Making!

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Apr 7 11:28:08 EDT 2005

         Offered by Joslin Hall Rare Books, from our
       newly refreshed "JUST CATALOGUED" pages
            <http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~

[Debruge-Dumenil Collection] Catalogue des Object d'Art qui composent la
collection Debruge-Dumenil don't la vente aux encheres publiques aura lieu
a Paris... Paris; M. Bonnefons de Lavialle: 1849.

The extensive and magnificent sale of Medieval, Renaissance and 17th and
18th century decorative and fine arts belonging to the wealthy Far-Eastern
merchant, Louis Fidel Debruge-Dumenil. The Debruge-Dumenil collection gave
rise to one of the great works of art history of the 19th century, as the
collector's son-in-law, a lawyer names Jules Labarte, undertook to catalog
it in the 1840s, a project that culminated in an 1847 catalog, and
Labarte's abandonment of the law to be come a full-time archeologist/art
historian. Labarte's work on an updated edition of the original catalog
grew and grew until it turned into a "magnum opus" of six volumes on the
arts and crafts of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, published between 1864
and 1866.

By that time the original Debruge-Dumenil Collection was long gone; in
fact, it was dispersed at this auction sale in 1849. The sale took place in
many sessions through January, February and March, and the decorative arts
featured fine glass, metals and ceramics, including Venetian glass, stained
glass, ancient glass, mosaics and enamels, Palissy ware, gold and
silverwork, jewelry, clocks, furniture, ironwork, Oriental lacquer and
other artwork, sculpture, bronzes, paintings and prints. This sale catalog
features several line illustrations and vignettes in the text, as well as 4
engraved plates which illustrate silhouettes of Venetian glasswares.

Hardcover. 6"x9", xxvi + 221 pages with several line illustrations, plus 4
plates; bound in old marbled boards with a leather spine; covers worn and
rubbed, hinges a little shaky; contents with some soil, etc. [07301] $250.00

Illustrations->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images07/th-07301.jpg>

~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~

See more JUST CATALOGUED books at-
            <http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.