[Rarebooks] fs: Nicolay & Hay, Lincoln's Complete Works

Back Creek Books admin at backcreekbooks.com
Fri Aug 26 23:22:53 EDT 2005

Greetings All,

For your consideration:
~
(No. 7843 )  Lincoln, Abraham, edited by John G[eorge]. Nicolay and John
Hay. ABRAHAM LINCOLN, COMPLETE WORKS: COMPRISING HIS SPEECHES, LETTERS,
STATE PAPERS, AND MISCELLANEOUS WRITINGS (COMPLETE IN 2 VOLUMES).
New York: Century Co., 1894. First printing, Full cloth, Octavos, [viii],
695 + [vi], 770 pages, Frontispiece portrait, facsimiles. Very Good.
      Having completed their monumental 10 volume "Abraham Lincoln, A
History" in 1890, Nicolay and Hay prepared this collection of Lincoln's
works at the request of Robert Lincoln. It contains 1736 letters, speeches,
and miscellaneous writings, including the full text of the Lincoln-Douglas
debates. The subsequent "Tandy Edition" of 1905, though bulking up to an
impressive 12 volumes, only included an additional 518 items and those are
mostly letters. This present set was the first attempt to assemble Lincoln's
works and does include every important speech and state paper. For
completeness, both this and the 1905 collection have been supplanted by Roy
Basler's 1953-1955 "Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln." See ANGLE, SOLB pp.
3-6; MONAGHAN, #1150. Bound in green textured cloth over boards with
gilt-stamped spines, blind-stamped border rules on upper and lower boards,
top edges gilt, fore and bottom edges untrimmed, dark green glossy
endpapers. Both volumes have mild rubs along joints and extremities with a
few shallow bumps. Rear endpapers in volume I and both endpapers in volume
II are split at hinge, but the binding remains secure. Good set.    $150.00
See photo: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/bookphotos/7843.jpg

><///(*>   ><///(*>    ><///(*>    ><///(*>
Terms:
All books fully guaranteed and returnable if not as described. Normal
domestic shipping $3.50 for the first book, $1.00 each additional book or
volume. International shipments or other carriers at cost. Payment accepted
by credit card (V,MC,Amex, Discover), check, money order, or PayPal.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Rock Toews
Back Creek Books
Post Office Box 3540, Annapolis, MD 21403, U.S.A.
Tel. 410-626-1363 or toll free 877-626-1363 -  Fax. 815-425-8542
Web: http://www.backcreekbooks.com  ~  Email: admin at backcreekbooks.com
--
Military & Naval History, Americana, Nautical & Maritime, Marylandiana
 ~ New arrivals: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/index.php