[Rarebooks] FS: Shakespeare in a lovely Richard Griffin Harlequin binding with lapis lazuli inset

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Wed Dec 21 09:22:55 EST 2005

 From our new Holiday Catalogue now posted on our website
http://www.erols.com/agvent
containing 127 select items including a selection of fine bindings and Limited
Editions Club titles, and a large selection of signed books by Susan B. Anthony,
P. T. Barnum, Andrew Carnegie, Clarence Darrow, Albert Einstein, Jacqueline
Kennedy, Thomas Mann, Thomas Merton, Ronald Reagan, John Steinbeck, and more.

SHAKESPEARE, William [GRIFFIN, Richard]. KING RICHARD II. London:
Folio  Society  1958. Large octavo (6-3/4" x 8-3/4")  specially  bound
by  Richard  Griffin  in  full purple morocco  with  the  upper  board
featuring  half  diamond-  and diamond-shaped onlays in  green,  gray,
yellow,  pink,  and three shades of brown morocco, with a fine,  small
piece  of lapis lazuli serving as a central insert, spine lettered  in
gilt.  Introduction  by  Sir  John  Gielgud;  illustrated  with  color
designs  by Loudon Sainthill. Richard Griffin had established  himself
in  publishing  before  becoming  ill   with  cancer  and  turning  to
bookbinding.  He had this to say about his work in a 1991 catalogue of
his  bindings: "I do not know if it may be partly due to the  morphine
or  the other drugs I have to take which often have a euphoric effect,
but  for  some  reason I have become obsessed with the idea  of  using
semi-precious  and  precious  stones ...[and]... to avoid the  use  of
gold  and  silver  tooling which is the basis of most  commercial  and
traditional  bookbindings.  I  found  to my delight  that  the  stones
needed no other setting than the leather itself.  Consequently most of
my  recent bindings are dominated by stones and indeed I usually chose
the stone first and then let the design come.  One design which recurs
is  what I refer to as my Harlequin design.  This basic pattern  lends
itself  to  endless variations in colour and lay-out, and  looks  most
dramatic  when combined  with appropriate stones."  Fine in  a  lovely
Harlequin design binding.                                     $1500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $8.00.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent