[Rarebooks] fs: America's Own Virulent, Quixotic Artist... (1845)

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Sat Feb 5 10:06:06 EST 2005

[Osborn, Laughton]  HANDBOOK OF YOUNG ARTISTS AND AMATEURS IN OIL
PAINTING...BY AN AMERICAN ARTIST.

New York; Wiley and Putnam: 1845.

The first edition of this popular 19th century artist's manual, which was
based on the French art manuals of Bouvier, Merimee and de Montabert.
Osborn discusses materials and implements, coloring, finishing, the
technique of painting drapery, painting landscapes, and finally varnishing,
cleaning, repairing and lining. The book is a source of much useful
information on 19th century techniques and materials, and is also of
interest as an example of an influential 19th century American art manual.
It was re-issued a number of times in the 1850s and 60s.

Laughton Osborn [1809-1878] was an amateur painter and professional (though
usually anonymous) author, whose work is now largely forgotten. He is seen
most vividly today through the eyes of Edgar Alan Poe, who knew him as an
entertaining, sometimes virulent author, and a poetic contributor to
several of Poe's magazines.

Poe included a vivid sketch of Osborn in his 1850 essay "The Literati",
where he related that he had read and been amused by several of Osborn's
anonymous literary works, the most notable of which had been "The
Confessions of a Poet, by Himself". "Confessions" had been widely
criticized by literary critics as obscene. "It is not precisely the work to
place in the hands of a lady," Poe admits, while judging it "quite
remarkable for artistic unity and perfection [with] sentiments audacious
and suggestive at least, if not at all times tenable."

Violent criticism of the "Confessions" from one New York newspaper editor
brought forth a stinging satirical rebuke from Osborn titled "The Vision of
Rubeta, an Epic of the Island of Manhattan". This satire, Poe notes, "was
not only bitter but personal in the last degree. It was, moreover, very
censurably indecent - filthy is, perhaps, the more appropriate word".
Still, Poe declares, it was the best satire written to the time in America,
which was, he admits, not saying all that much, as it was also just about
the only satire written up to that time in America.

Osborn had once complained in a private letter to Poe that he had
absolutely no friends, and Poe muses that he was "undoubtedly one of
"Nature's own noblemen, full of generosity, courage, honor - chivalrous in
every respect, but, unhappily, carrying his ideas of chivalry, or rather of
independence, to the point of Quixotism, if not of absolute insanity," and
that Osborn had "few equals at downright invective."

Odd that he had no friends...

America's own foul-mouthed Quixote was also a playwright, specializing in
pseudo-historical tragedies and comedies, and an amateur painter, from
which hobby came his interest in the French works he translated to produce
this "Handbook of Young Artists".

Poe characterizes him as "a poet, painter and musician (who has) absolutely
succeeded as each. His scholarship is extensive. In the French and Italian
languages, he is [quite] at home, and in everything he is thorough and
accurate." Osborn's "Treatise on Oil Painting," Poe concludes, was "highly
spoken of by those well qualified to judge."

Well, it would have been, wouldn't it? Who would have wanted to cross pens,
or paintbrushes, with Laughton Osborn?

Hardcover. 5"x8", xxxiii + 398 pages, plus 7 page catalog of Wiley and
Putnam books at the rear. Original cloth, covers with some soil and wear,
contents with some spotting and a bit shaken. Not a wonderful copy, but
nice to have in the original covers.  [29169] $300.00

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!