[Rarebooks] FS: Scandalous (& censored) French novel circa 1761

Karmbooks at aol.com Karmbooks at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 12:14:31 EST 2005

Chevrier, Francois Antoine. LE COLEPORTEUR: HISTOIRE MORALE ET CRITIQUE. A
Londres (The Hague or Brussels): Jean Nourse. L’an de la Verite (No date, but
circa 1761-1762). Sm. 8vo. (2),224pp. With the half-title. Title printed in red &
 black, within a decorative border. 19th century calf over marbled boards,
hinges a bit rubbed. Private library rubber stamp on title.     $450.00 (trade
discount allowed)
A curious & popular novel by the satirist and scandalous writer Chevrier.
There are at least 6 different undated editions with different pagination and
other variations. A bibliography by one M. Gillet (in an uncommon 19th century
French journal) exists of Chevrier, detailing the points of the “true” first
edition. Unfortunately we have not been able to find this publication, but
according to a previous bookseller’s notes, we have the correct first edition which
should end on page 224, have a 2-color title page with a border, the
double-rule at the bottom of the title beginning at the end of “z” in “chez,” and
the “an” in the imprint is lower case. Copies of this work were censored in
France and confiscated by the police. See Darnton. CORPUS OF CLANDESTINE
LITERATURE IN FRANCE, 1769-1789, #101. Gay I, 619.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
P.O. Box 464
Santa Monica, CA 90406
Tel. (310) 451-4342; Fax. (310) 458-5930
Email: karmbooks at aol.com