[Rarebooks] FS - First Account of Ceylon

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Sun Jun 12 15:36:06 EDT 2005

KNOX, Robert (James Ryan, editor). /AN HISTORICAL RELATION OF CEYLON/.
/Together With somewhat concerning Severall Remarkable passages of my
life that hath happened since my Deliverance out of my Captivity./ Bound
in publisher's original red cloth with gilt lettering. James Maclehose
and Sons, Glasgow. 1911. 1st edition, royal 8vo, pp. lxviii, 460. Spine
and foredges of bds. sunned. Tips bumped. Spine ends a bit crinkled. Top
of bds. scuffed. Endpapers lightly foxed. Contents clean. Very good
condition.

Robert Knox (1641-1720) was the son of a sea captain, who went to Fort
St. George and the Bengal in 1657, and on the homeward voyage in 1659
was captured and made prisoner at Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). He escaped in
1679, and entered the employ of the East India Company, for whom he
served from 1680-1694. This book, first published in 1681, is the first
account in the English language of the Island of Ceylon, and its people.
With 22 plates, and a large folding map of the Island of Ceylon.

Price: $300.00.

Terms of Sale - The price is net in US funds, and includes postage and
packing sent anywhere in North America. Overseas postage at cost.
Payment by check, or credit card. Returnable within seven days of
receipt if not as described.

Trade Discount - Books offered for sale in these postings are usually
offered by us at a discount from the prices at which they will be listed
for sale on the usual out-of-print databases (e.g. Abebooks).
Consequently, the price indicated above is net to all, with no further
discounts being available. Notwithstanding, Greenfield Books does
reciprocate a discount to book dealers who are members of a national
association affiliated with the International League of Antiquarian
Booksellers (ILAB). We will also consider extending a discount to other
full time book dealers who advertise their books on-line, and whose
publicly stated Terms of Sale includes the offer of a trade discount.
However, any such discount is only applicable to books offered for sale
either at our web site (URL below), or on the aforementioned
out-of-print databases.

GREENFIELD BOOKS
Member: ABAC/ILAB and
The Ephemera Society of America